Hoboken New Jersey Public Buildings

Home - Law Land - Percy Land - Blanck - Petermann - Hoboken Main Page

Post Office, Hoboken, N.J.

Post Office, Hoboken, N.J.

Not posted

The Post Office is on the corner of Newark and River Streets.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Signs on wall to the left read

"JOHN STENECK AND SONS
95 RIVER STREET
FOREIGN MONEY
BOUGHT AND SOLD
STEAMSHIP TICKETS
DRAFTS AND MONEY ORDERS
Vollmachten

KELLER
Restaurant

John Steneck and sons: See River Street

Keller: I could not find any Kellers in the 1900 or 1910 census who had anything to do with a restaurant. There were a number of Keller families in Hoboken at the time.


Post Office, Hoboken, N. J.

Not posted

The building on the left was the office of John Steneck & sons. 95 River Street. See River Street

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Post Office and Steneck Building, Hoboken, N. J.

Posted 1913

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Notice, in addition to the Steneck building taking the place of the two short buildings in the previous photo, there are dormers on the post office building and an extra bay of windows has been added to the first floor.


Hudson Trust

Hudson Trust Company, Hoboken, N. J.

No date

The Hudson Trust was on the corner of Newark and Hudson Streets.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


City Hall

Library of Congress

City Hall, Hoboken

Celebration of August Grassman's city council victory 1880.

August Grassman[n] was mayor of Hoboken from 1888 to 1891. He was born in Hamburg Germany March 9 1846. He immigrated on the Saxonia from Hamburg in February 1865. He was naturalized in Jersey City Common Pleas in 1880. He was 5 feet 8 inches tall with grey eyes and dark brown hair that by 1894 was tinged with grey. He was listed in the 1880 census as a grocer. By 1900 he was listed as an insurance salesman and in 1910 that was specifically listed as "fire insurance". He did not marry and was listed in 1900 and 1910 as lodging with Teresse Waldman (or Wallman) on Washington street. He died suddenly age 65 in 1911.

August Grassmann, Groceries, Wines, Teas, Fruits, and Vegetables, No. 161 Washington Street. - One of the most popular among the well-known representative citizens and business men of Hoboken is Mr. August Grassmann, who during the past eleven years has been engaged in the grocery business. He is located at No. 161 Washington Street, at the corner of Fourth, where he has a fine, large, showy, attractive store, in which he keeps a choice, select assortment of family groceries, teas, coffees, and imported and domestic wines, also fruits, vegetables, hermetically sealed cans and glass, also condiments and every kind of table delicacies, and fresh fruits and vegetables in their season. Mr. Grassmann has one of the finest assortments of this class of goods to be found in the city, which has been carefully selected for a first- class custom. Mr. Grassmann is a German by birth, but has been in this country many years. He takes considerable interest in municipal affairs and is at present a member of Councils, serving on some of the most important committees.

Industries of New Jersey: Hudson, Passaic and Bergen counties By Richard Edwards, Historical Publishing Company, 1883


Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

City Hall, Hoboken

Not posted

City Hall is on the corner of Newark Avenue and Washington Street.

City Hall was completer in 1883 and enlarged in 1910/11.


Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

City Hall, Hoboken

Posted 1913

I assume since port of these post cards are labeled "City Hall, Hoboken, N.J.", that one predates 1910 and that the other is of the renovated City Hall.


St. Mary's Hospital

St Mary's Hospital

No post mark

St Mary's Hospital was founded in 1863. This photo taken from the corner of Church Square shows the hospital at 4th and Willow Street.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


St Mary's Hospital, Hoboken, N. J.

Posted February 1906

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


St Mary's Hospital, Hoboken, N. J.

No post mark

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Library

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Hoboken Library

Posted 1906

The library, build in 1897, is on 5th Street on the north side of Church Square Park.


Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Hoboken Library

Not posted


Schools

High School Hoboken, N. J.

Not posted

The High School was located at Park (formerly Meadow) and 6th Ave. on the North East corner behind the German Evangelical Church which can be seen in the right of the image.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

James Jacob Pierri, a Hoboken native, emailed in May 2008 to say the building was again being used as a school.


High School, Hoboken, N.J.,

Not posted

Garden Street and 4th Street circa 1918.

In July 2012 Luz Perez wrote that the school was called A. J. Demarest High School. It was dedicated in 1911. It later became a junior high school.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

A. J. Demarest was the Superintendent of Public Instruction in Hoboken in 1905 when the following report was made regarding schools in Hoboken in 1903-1904.

The following table shows the enrollment and attendance of pupils, and the number of teachers employed during the years 1903-1904:

Total number of pupils enrolled, 10,362

Average number of pupils enrolled, 8,328

Average daily attendance, 7,522

Number of pupils in Kindergarten 1,155

Number of pupils in Primary Department 5,630

Number of pupils in Grammar Department 2,752

Number of pupils in High School, 239

Number of pupils in Night School 586

Number of teachers employed, 210


Public School No. 5, Hoboken, N. J. served the 100 block of Willow Street.

Public School #5 built in 1877 at 122-132 Clinton Street (at second) was the third elementary built in Hoboken.The building still stands.

Public School No. 1, Hoboken, N. J. - the school attended by Meta and Anna Petermann

According to the article in the Smithtown Newspaper, Meta Petermann Land and her sister and friends went to public school No. 1. This school was originally built on land left to the city by Edwin Augustus Stevens. It was a three story brick building heated by a pot belly stove in each classroom and lit by gas light. At times the school was very crowded and space was rented at the German Church on Garden Street below Second Street to accommodate the overflow of students. Sometimes there were as many as a hundred students to one class room.

The Petermann children were: John born 1879, Christian born 1883, Meta born 1886 and Annie born 1887

In 1866 Public School No 1 was located on Garden near 3rd.

HOBOKEN HISTORICAL MUSEUM - Public School No 1, 305-307 Garden

In 1884 David Rue was principle and Miss Leleke Allen was vice principle. The school had a capacity of 825 studensts and the average attendance in 1883 was 782.

1901: David E Rue died in July 1901. He had long been a teacher at Public School No. 1 in Hoboken and was appointed principle of the school in 1869. He held that position until his death. He was born in Englishtown, N. J. in 1843. Educated at Lewisburg University (later Bucknell College) he fought in the Civil War with the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was survived by a wife, two sons and a daughter.


P. S. School no. 1, Garden near 3rd streets circa 1880 - Rutgers library Online


Number of schools in Hoboken in 1887

1887: Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres.

"In the important particular of school facilities Hoboken is abreast with her sister cities in the State. In addition to several private educational establishments there are four public schools, all of them model institutions of their kind, and supplied with all the modern appliances and facilities for imparting instruction in the higher branches of education. These schools are located as follows: No. 1, Garden street, near Third; No. 2, Garden street, near Tenth; No. 3, Adams street, near Second; No. 4, Park avenue, near Sixth. The schools are under the control of a Board of Education."

German Language Taught in Hoboken schools

Starting in the early 1880s all school children, regardless of home language, studied German in the Hoboken public schools. Many Germans chose to live in Hoboken because German was taught in the public schools.

Ahn-Henn German Text books were used in the Public Schools in Hoboken as early as 1877. (A Systematic Synopsis of German Grammar, Being a Comprehensive Compilation ... By Peter Henn)

1888:

The German language is taught in sixteen (16) classes, including the high school. The instruction is conducted under the management of a principal and one assistant teacher. It is intended that the study should be made as practical as possible, and with this end in view, a large part of the time is spent in conversation on topics beginning with those suggested by the school room. As a mercantile language the German in New York and vicinity has become well-nigh indispensable.

(Annual Report of the Board of Education and the Superintendent of Public ... By New Jersey. State Board of Education)

1918: In January 1918 the Board of Education ended the bilingual program in Hoboken's Public schools.

Teaching of German was removed from the curriculum of the Hoboken public schools yesterday by a unanimous vote of the Board of Education, and for the first time in twenty-five years children in the grammar grades will not be required to study that language. High-school students may elect to study the language in the last two years of their course, but hereafter students will be compelled to study only English.

James T. Laverty, President of the Hoboken Board of Education, who submitted the resolution for the removal of the study of German, said that it was his idea to simplify the curriculum so that students might be graduated at an earlier age. He pointed out German as one of the subjects that might be dropped without disadvantage, and the Board of Education supported him. Members of Germanic descent also voted for the resolution.

Most of the opposition to the compulsory study of German came from two district schools, where most of the students were Italians. They objected to the study of German, particularly after Italy entered the war, and open rebellion of classes has been reported to the Board of Education. When the study of German was made compulsory more than half of the students were of German descent. Now they are only about a fourth of the total number of pupils.

Professor Otto Hoch, who has taught the language in the grammar school, has been transferred to the high-school department, where he will become director of a bureau of Americanization. He will instruct aliens of all nationalities in the drawing of naturalization papers, and tell them of the rights and privileges of American citizenship. In addition he will aid in the teaching of English.

(The Elementary School Journal, Volume 18)


Public School No. 6, 11th and Willow, Hoboken, N. J.

Not posted

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Public School #6 at the corner of Willow and 11th street was built in 1891.

The school was latter named the Wallace school. (Information from Luz Perez, July 2012)


Deutsches Seemannshaus, 60-64 Hudson Street

Deutsches Seemannshaus 60-64 Hudson Str, Hoboken, N. J.

Not posted

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Deutcher Club 6th and Hudson

Deutcher Club, Hoboken, N. J.

Posted 1905

On the Corner of 6th and Hudson.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

The name was changed during the first World War to the Union Club. It was a popular location for dances and political events. Frank Sinatra performed here in 1935 for $40 a week.


Quartette Club Hall

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

No. 10 — The Quartette Club Hall, Hoboken, N. J.

Posted 1906

Later the Gayety Theater, 1200 Block Washington Street.

The Quartette club was a lay singing society. Many promident German/American citizens of Hoboken were members of the Quartette Club. The German/America loved to sing and every city with a German/America community had singing societies who put on performances and who vied for prizes in competitions.


US Theater 617 Washington

Hoboken, N. J.

Posted 1919

US Theatre - Vaudeville

Located at 617 Washington Street

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Fire Houses

Hook and Ladder Company No 2 Hoboken, N.J.

Posted 1912

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Hof Brau House, Hoboken, N. J.

The Hof Brau House, know for its find German food, was at the corner of River and Second Streets. The Petermanns lived at one point at 36 2nd Street.


Duke's House, Hoboken, N. J.

Duke's House owned by Martin Daab was a popular restaurant and bar on the pier near the train station. It had a reputation for fine food and service and catered to the likes of Lillian Russell, John L Sullivan and other prominent people of the times. It too was destroyed in the August 7 pier fire.

A pre 1906 menu for Duke's House Cafe and Restaurant, Martin Daab Jr proprietor, includes: clams, lobsters, frog's legs, a wide selection of oysters, various fish, boiled beef, oxtail ragout, tripe, veal paprika, filet mignon with mushrooms, prime rib of beef, loin of pork with sauerkraut, game in season, various vegetables (heavy on potatoes) plus sandwiches salads and desserts. The menu also included eggs and omeletts and coffees, teas and milk drinks. The wine list included: Champagnes, Bordeauxs, Sauternes, Burgundies, Rhine and Moselle Wines, and Hungarian Wines. Various ales, porters and bees, several on draft were also offered as was mineral water, cordials and mixed drinks. A whole live broiled lobster cost $1.00. Prime rib was 35 cents. Champagnes were $3.50. (NYPL Digital collection, duke's menu)

Hoboken By Patricia Florio Colrick

Menu 1906

A 1916/17 New Year's Holiday dinner offered: fresh fruit cocktail, clear ox tail soup, stuffed deviled crabs, squab chicken polonaise, julienne potatoes, peas etuvees, hearts of romaine with Russian dressing, fancy ice cream friandise, and cafe.

See also Train Station and the 1905 Fire for images of the building after in burned.

Louis Calabritto - The Duke

The Duke's house got its name from the one time manger of the restaurant, Louis Duke of Calabritta who was born in Naples in 1818 and died in Hoboken in 1886.

1862: Louis Calabritto Residence Year: 1862 Street address: 1 Ferry Iloboken Residence Place: Jersey City, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Agent Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1862

1880: Ferry street, Louis Calabritto age 62 born Naples, married hotel manager, 1886: Time Picayune, New Orleans 22 March "1886":

"The Duke of Calabritto has died in Hoboken of pneumonia in his sixty-ninth year. He was a real duke descended form a long line of titled ancestors and he inherited a large estate in his native Italy, but participation in the revolution of '48 resulted in his banishment. His wife refused to come to this country with him and remained in Europe with their sons, thus causing permanent separation. The Duke was widely esteemed as the manager of the old Napoleon Hotel near the ferry in Hoboken, known in later years as the duke's House."

1886: Louis Calabritto Birth Date: abt 1817 Birth Place: Italy Death Date: 17 Mar "1885" Death Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Death Age: 68 years Occupation: Restaranter Marital Status: Married Gender: Male FHL Film Number: 589306

1886:

"Louis Calabritto, the Italian exile, generally known as "the duke" who was well known as the proprietor of a Hoboken hostelry for many years was buried yesterday in the Hoboken cemetery, from St. Mary's Church. A large number of people attended the funeral and the coffin was covered with costly floral gits." (New York Times, March 22, 1886

1886: Probate - died without a will - Louis Callabretta Probate Date: 18 May 1886 Probate Place: Hudson, New Jersey, USA Inferred Death Year: Abt 1886 Inferred Death Place: New Jersey, USA Item Description: Letters of Administration, Vol 7-9, 1884-1891

Another obit of the Duke stated the Duke was the manager of "the old Hoboken House which stood where the depot of the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western Rail road stands now. It was a famous house of its time, but was town down twenty years ago. Then the Duke became manager of the Hotel Napoleon, which stood a the corner of Washington and First Streets." The Napoleon was torn down in 1870.

The notice of the Dukes death was carried in many papers across the US.

The Dukes House was described as "neat but unpretentious three story building, mostly constructed of tiles, the greater portion of the lower part being glass".


Duke's House near the Hoboken Ferry - 1903 - Rutgers Library Online

The building burned down in the 1905 Hoboken fire.


Hotels, Hoboken, N. J.

Meyer's and Naegeli's Hotels, 3rd and Hudson Sts. See Hudson Street


If you have any suggestions, corrections, information, copies of documents, or photos that you would like to share with this page, please contact me at maggie@maggieblanck.com

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Connecting Hoboken Pages

CHURCHES WAYS TO THE HEIGHTS HUDSON STREET
NEWARK STREET OTHER STREETS PARKS
JUNE 30, 1900 FIRE PHOTOS OF THE FIRE THE PIERS
HOBOKEN MAIN PAGE TRAIN STATION STEVENS INSTITUTE
TUNNEL WASHINGTON STREET
Professor M. Loewy
Schutzenfest and Bowling

Please feel free to link to this web page.


© Maggie Land Blanck - Page created 2004 - Latest update, March 2016