Newark Street, Hoboken, New Jersey

Home - Law Land - Percy Land - Blanck - Petermann

Hoboken Main Page

Rutgers Library online

Adolph Lankering (1851-1937) cigar store 30 Newark street (old number) 58 new number) - corner court street

He was a mayor of Hoboken form 1901 to 1906. He was also postmaster of Hoboken for a number of years.

1896: Baptism of George Adolf Lankering 58 Newark Street, born May 6, 1894 in Hoboken son of Adolf and Louise (nee Fistedt) godfather George Lankering January 9

1900: 200 Hudson street, Adolph Lankering 50, cigar mager Louise Lankering 47, 2 children 1 living, Fritz Lankering 8, son, Frieda Dickmayer 24, servant

1910: 200 Hudson street, Adolph Laukering 58, wholesale cigar maker, Louisa Laukering 58, wife, 2 children 1 living, Frederick Laukering 18, errand boy fish importing house

1915: Appointment to post master - Name: Adolph Lankering Post Office Location: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Appointment Date: 23 Jul 1915 Volume #: 62 Volume Year Range: 1888-1930

1920: Park Ave., Adolph Lankering 68, post master, naturalized, Louise Lankering 68, Fred R Lankering 27, merchant, Amy Lankering 23, daughter in law

1930: George Lankering 69, own, $10,000, 1226 Garden street, proprietor, cigars and radio, Alberta Lankering 63, wife, Adolph H Lankering 32, son, salesman cigar co., Hilda Lankering 40, daughter, Wilma Lankering 25, daughter, Joseph Mcdowell 63, roomer, Adolph Lankering 79, roomer, proprietor, cigars and radio, widowed, Carl L Petersen 71, roomer

Adolph Lankering

Adolph Lankering and more at the Hoboken Museum

Hoboken German Americans

Rutgers Library online

Perry E. Hall - Hoboken - Planing and Molding Mills - 507-11 Newark street (new number) - 1892 to 1911

1880: James Hall 40, bookkeeper, Mary Hall 40 Perry E. Hall 13, at school, born Ohio

1893: Perry E Hall Residence Year: 1893 Street address: 509 NewarkH Residence Place: Jersey City, New Jersey, USA Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1893

1899: Perry E Hall, born Ophio, mill, Residence Year: 1899 Street address: 511 Newark H H Residence Place: Jersey City, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Sashes, Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1899

1900: Springfield, Union, New JerseyPerry E Hall 33 Marie Hall 33, 4 children 3 living, Mabel S Hall 6, Perry E Hall 4, James S Hall 1, Milly Weissback 32, boarder, John Bradbury 26, laborer

1902: Perry E Hall Residence Year: 1902 Street address: 505 Newark Residence Place: Jersey City; Hoboken, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Sash Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1902

1909: Perry E. Hill testified in court:

"I reside at Short Hills, New Jersey. My business is manufacturing sash, doors and blinds, trim and general mill work. My factory and mill is at 503 to 511 Newark Street, Hoboken."

1910: Springfield, Union, New Jersey Street: Morris Avenue, Perry E Hall 43 Marie Hall 40 Mabel S Hall 16 Perry E Hall 14 James Gilbert Hall 11 M Ruth Hall 7 Herbert S Hall 4 Albert Anderson 26

1911: Perry E. Hall. Hoboken, N. J., March 13. Perry E. Hall, who conducted --- and sash, door and blind manufacturing plant, died Wednesday, March 8. Mr. Hall had been in business since 1885, and succeeded Ingali & ---- He operated under the style of the Hoboken Molding Mill Company. American Lumberman

1914: Corporations of New Jersey: New Jersey. Dept. of State 1914 ā€ˇCorporations Hoboken Planing Mill Company 507 Newark St., Hoboken, Agent , Perry E. Hall. Capital stock increased to $75,000, June 23, 1910. Hoboken

1920: Passport application of Mabel Seymore Hall born 3 August 1893 to Perry Edward Hall deceased born Cleveland Ohio, tog go to China and Japan

Mabel S Hall Gender: Female Birth Date: 5 Aug 1893 Birth Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father: Perry E Hall Mother: Marie Herke

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Newark St. looking West, Hoboken, N.J.

Posted 1907

This image was taken from the intersection of River and Newark streets.

The large building (more or less in the center) of the image is the Hudson Trust Company and Savings Institute on the South West corner of Newark and Hudson streets (80-84 Hudson st - 51 Newark st). It is shown on the 1904 and 1906 maps of Hoboken.

To the left of the Hudson Trust building and on the south east corner of Hudson and Newark is a yellowish building that on the 1906 map is identified as the 1st National Bank. In another post card with a view from the opposite end of the block the building has a sign advertising "Law Offices". See below.

The grey building with the awnings and the red and black signs on the left side of the image was the Palace Hotel run by Charles Von Broock. He also had a restaurant and the yellow sign that can be partially seen reads "Restaurant". The Palace Hotel and Cafe, Charles Von Broock, Proprietor, 39 and 41 Newark St was indicated on the 1904 map of Hoboken. See Von Broock below.

On the south west corner of Newark and River was the Hoboken House with a yellow door. Between the Hoboken House and the Palace Hotel is a one story building.

On the right is a sign "Restaurant". There were several restaurants on the north side of Newark in this block. In 1910 there were restaurants or saloons at nos. 32, 34, 36 and 44 Newark street.

In July 1894 Peter Smith, a boy who worked at a restaurant at 32 Newark street Hoboken, was overcome by the heat and taken to St. Mary's Hospital where his condition was said to be critical (The Sun, New York) 30, July 1894 .

There was a restaurant at 44 Newark street as early as 1899. In 1903 Antonio Servanti had a saloon at 44 Newark "ave" [street].

Hamburg & Altonaer House, Ernst Bartels, Proprietor, 34 Newark Street was listed on the 1904 map of Hoboken.

In the 1910 census nos 32, 32 and 36 all had families where the head of household was listed as woking in a restaurant or caffe. They were:

  1. At 32 Herman Freund, age 32, and his family and quite a few boarders all of them with restaurant related occupations
  2. At 34, Earnst "Bartell" age 39, and family and quite a few lodgers most of them dock workers,
  3. At 36, Walter Ussler ???, and family, age 42, and quite a few lodgers, most of them firemen.
A Help Wanted Add of 1893:
"BARKEEPER - TRUSTWORTHY GERMAN AMERICAN, 24, best references; mix all drinks; hotel and liquor tore experience. Address Bartender 32 Newark st Hoboken, N. J. near ferry"
In April 1896 the Sunday law liquor law was violated by Fredrick Meinen of 36 Newark street. The fount door was wide open and business was carried on as if it were a week day.

1898 Ad:

WANTED - A waitress for restaurant; must speak German. 32 Newark ave., Hoboken."
In 1903 a man, unhappy with the coffee served at a restaurant at 32 Newark street Hoboken, got into a fight with the waiter, Joseph Greer. When Greer tried to throw the man out he bulled a knife and stabbed Greer in the back. Hans Franz, the cook, and Jacob Livithan, the manager, came to Greer's assistance and were also cut. All three were taken to St. Mary's Hospital.

In 1921 an ad listed 32-34 Newark street Hoboken as a 4 story brick office building at the corner of Newark and River streets 50x64.8.

See the next postcard.

In 1904 John J. Fallon, Counsellor at Law, had an office in the Hudson Trust Building.

In 1904 Harris, Geo. W. & Co., Bankers and Brokers, H. S. Wart, Manager had offices in the Hudson Trust Building.

In 1904 the Second National Bank was located at Newark and River Sts.

In a bicentennial celebration booklet of 1976 the Clam Broth House was listed as "World famous since 1899, 34 Newark street" and as founded by "Charles Serventi" located at 38 Newark street. Based on the 1910 census and other records Charles Serventi was born in 1883. He would have been only 16 years old in 1899. Therefor I suggest that the original restaurant was founded by his father, Anthony, and taken over by Charles. His brother, Andrew Serventi born 1882, also had a saloon in Hoboken in the early 1900s. The famous Clam Broth House was at 30-38 Newark street as listed in New York Magazine in 1970. It was known for its free clam broth, and saw dust and clam shell littering the floor. In 1930 it was raided by federal prohibition agents who seized large quantities of liquor and beer. For 70 years women were banned from its bar room. It became the focus of a women's rights lawsuit in the early 1970s. In 1972 a judge ruled that the male only policy violated state law.

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Newark Avenue looking West from River, Hoboken, N.J.

Not posted.

Hoboken House Restaurant in on the right.

The Hudson Trust Company, at the corner of Newark and Hudson, is in the distance marked with and X (not by me).

The Hoboken House is on the left. Next to it is a one story building with a HIRES sign. The restaurant sign and awnings of the Place Hotel are next.

Again the Hudson Trust Building is seen at the corner of Hudson and Newark.

On the opposite side of the street from the corner of River, the first building has a sign "Ballantine's". The next building is double wide with two establishments on the first floor. The one with the white awnings is a restaurant.

Newark looking east, Hoboken, N. J.

Posted 1908

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Newark Street, looking East, Hoboken, N. J.

Not posted

The first building contains law office including those of "C. D. R. Leonard".

In the middle of the block is a barber pole - by the striped awning.

The Palace Hotel is the light colored building with the awnings.

At the corner of River and Newark is the Hoboken House. A sign on the overhang reads "The Excelsior Lager -----" (Excelsior Lager was a brand of beer.)

On the next corner is the Hoboken Land Improvement Company at No. 1 Newark St.

In 1904 Whittemore, Walter F., Civil Engineer, was listed at 1 Newark St. As were Bremermann, Wm. Banker and Broker, Hoboken Land & Imprt Co. Building.

The Hoboken House - John D and John F Klie - Corner of River Street and Newark Street (84 River street)

Brian Hart wrote in February 2015 to say his ancestors, the Klie family, had owned and operated the Hoboken House on Newark Street. His grandmother told him that the young man in the white shirt in the above photo (Newark Ave. looking W. from River Street) was Otto Theodore Klie, Brian's grandfather. Otto's brother is standing next to him.

Otto T Klie was born 6 March 1891 in Hoboken to Fritz J Klie, age 38, and Annie M. L. Lulleman age 29. Fritz and Annie were born in Germany. (New Jersey Birth Index)

I believe that the actual address for the Klie family was 84 River street. The building was located at the south west corner of River and Newark.

The Klie Brothers

John Diedrich Klie and John F Klie were bothers. John F being the father of Otto T. Klie.

1880: New York, Washington street, John D. Klie 32 John F. Klie 27 William Klie 23, all listed as "brother", all single, all liquor dealer, all born Hanover.

1885, 1886: John "D" Klie liquors, h 2 Hudson street, Hoboken.

1889: Trow city Directory Kile Bros J(ohn D and John F.), 222 Washington street, New York

1891: Lease New York Barclay st No. 90, front room on second floor, John D and John F. Klie of Klie Bros to Bernard Kappes -- years from Jan 1891

1892, 1893: Klie Bros (John D and John F Klie) liquors 2 Neward street, Hoboken

1894, 1896: Klie Bors. (John D and John F Klie) saloon 84 River street, Hoboken.

John Diedrich Klie (1848-1900 [?])

According to his passport application in May 1892, John Diedrich Klie, Hoboken, Liquor dealer, was born 7 Feb 1848 in Dorchterson Hasmaner Provin, Prussia. His wife was Rebecka. The children listed were: Katie, born 1884, August born Dec "1886", Anna born 1888, Pauline born 1890. All living in Hoboken, Hudson County, New Jersey. John D had immigrated to the US on Eugenie from Hamburg on or about 18 April 1867. He had lived in US in New York and Hoboken. Naturalized in New York 9 January 1882. He had been on two previous visits to Germany in 1869 and 1878 both lasting about three months. 5 Feet, 11 inches, blue eyes, blond hair. 3 Newark Street, Hoboken.

1867: J. D. Klie, Departure 15 Apr 1867, Age: 19, Drochtersen, Hannover, Occupation: Commis, Ship Name: Eugenie, Captain: Cahnbley, Shipping line: Rob. M. Sloman, Shipping Clerk: Donati & Co., Ship Type: Segelschiff, Accommodation: Zwischendeck, Ship Flag: Deutschland, Port of Departure: Hamburg, Port of Arrival: New York

1878: Fresia arrival 30 January 1878 from Hamburg via Le Haver to New York, John Diedrich Klie, age 30, "country to which they severally belong" United States.

1882: Naturalization, Klie, John D superior Court NYC, January 9, 1882, 13 Ja st. Liquor

Marriage of John D Klie, 1883: Rebecca

Johann Klie Marriage Date: 17 Jun 1883 Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, USA Spouse: Rebecca "Levdecker" Certificate Number: 24609, NYC Marriage Index

Children of John D and Rebecca:

  1. Katie c 1884

    With the family up to 1910, age 25.

  2. August H Klie 30 Dec 1885 Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: Johann D Klie Father's Age: 36 Father's Birth Place: Germany Mother's name: Rebecka F P "Leidecher" Mother's Age: 34 Mother's Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 494202

    Passport: Applications in 1915 and 1921 to go to Scotland to buy salt fish. In 1915 he was a representative of Schlecht & Klie co importers Merchants 396 [?] Greenwich Street, NYVC.

    In 1932 August and his sister Pauline went to Puerto Rico.

    1942: 812-80th street, unemployed, North Bergen with his sister Pauline Meier.

  3. John F H Klie 3 Jan 1886 Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: John D Klie Father's Age: 36 Father's Birth Place: Germany Mother's name: Rebecca F P "Baedecker" Mother's Age: 34 Mother's Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 494205

    Death: ??

    Not listed with them in 1900. In 1910 Rebecca Klie said she had 5 children four of whom were still living. Three of them were August, Ann, Pauline (Rebecca). Catherine was listed with them in 1900.

  4. Ann circa 1888

    With the family until 1910 age 21.

  5. Rebecka P L Klie 10 Jul 1890 Birth Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: John D Klie Father's Age: 42 Father's Birth Place: Germany Mother's name: Rebecka "Leydecker" Mother's Age: 40 Mother's Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 494217

    AKA Pauline

    1940: William J Meier 58, dentist own practice, Pauline Meier 49, August Klie 52, dealer, imp fish, Laura Eck 52, maid

  6. Listed on passport, Katie, born 1886, August born Dec "1885", Anna born 1888 "Pauline born 1890".

1887: 11 Sep 1887 Hoboken, USA, Ship Wieland, Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft Hamburg to New York Rebecca Klie 3?, Cath. Klie 2, Gustav Klie 11? to Hoboken.

1891: John D Klie, home 3 Newark Hoboken also John F.

1893: On the Columbia from Hamburg to New York, destination Hoboken, John D Klie 45, occupation "kaufmann" (merchant), Recha Klie 44 Katie Klie 9 August Klie 8 Anna Klie 5 Pauline Klie 3

1893/1894: John D. Klie, 84 River St Hoboken, liquors

1895: Passport application information the same as that of 1892. Did say he lived in New York City. from 1867 to 1895. Listed his occupation as hotel keeper. Intended to stay abroad about 6 months.

1895: Normannia Hamburg to New York John Klie 35 Rebecca Klie 26

1900: Hoboken Ward 1, 84 River John D Klie 52, Rebecca Klie 50, saloon keeper, Catherine Klie 15, August Klie 14, Anna Klie 11, Pauline Klie 9, Anna Schieken 24, servant - same building as John F. Klie

1900: Death of John D Klie per passport application of August Klie in 1921, salt fish merchant.

1904: Rebecca was listed as the widow of John D in the 1904 Directory.

1910: 1140 Garden st., Rebecca Klie 60, widow, 5 children 4 living, none, Katharine Klie 25, August Klie 28, manager fish market, Anna Klie 21, Pauline Klie 19

1915: Rebecca F P Klie widow of John D Klie home 1140 Garden street.

1920: 1140 Garden street, August Klie 34, dealer salt fish, Rebecca Klie 70, mother, widow, Pauline Klie 29, sister

1930: 1140 Garden, Rebecca Klie, 80, August H Klie 45, manufacturer salt fish, Pauline Klie 35

John F. Klie (AKA Fritz) (1853-)

Birth: Circa 1853 Germany


Marriage: Annie Lullenann

Johann Klie 1 Mar 1885 Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, USA Spouse: Anna M "Cullmann" Certificate Number: 54904, Marriage Index


  1. William c 1886

    1920: Park Ave. North Bergen, William Klie 33, broker real estate, Edna Klie 23, William Klie 2, [2 1/12] Ruth Klie 1

    1930: Park Ave, North Bergen, William J Klie 44, widowed, insurance agent, William J F Klie 13, Joan Klie 11, John N Klie 7

    1940: 160 Van Nostrand Avenue Weehawken, New Jersey, J William Klie 54, broker insurance, Pansy B Klie 48 Joan Klie 21 John Klie 17

  2. Fredrick c 1889

    1920: Oak street, Weehawken, Fred Klie 31, carpenter, Harriett Klie 30 Jane Klie 1

    1930: 35th street, Union City, rent, Frederick H Klie 41, arch boss, Harriet H Klie 40 Jane D Klie 11 Frederick H Klie 7 1940: Netcong, New Jersey, Fredrick H Klie 52, college 4th year, architect own business, Harriet H Klie 51 Jane D Klie 21 Fredrick H Klie 17

  3. George c 1890

    1920: See below.

    1930: Bloomfield street, Hoboken, George Klie 40, dentist, Helen Klie 28 George Klie 3 Frieda Bunge 25 1940: Bloomfield street, Hoboken, George D Klie 50, college 5th or more, dentist, own home, Helen T Klie 38 George D Klie 13 Edward Klie 4 Wilma Schereiber 27

  4. Otto T Klie 6 Mar 1891 Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: Fritz J Klie Father's Age: 38 Father's Birth Place: Germany Mother's name: Annie M L Lullmann Mother's Age: 29 Mother's Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 494220

    1940: 44 West Pierrepont Avenue Rutherford, Bergen, New Jersey, rent, Otto Klie 48, Salesman W Fuel Oil, Marguerite Klie 38, Phyliss Klie 10, Barbara Klie 5, Marjorie Klie 4

    Otto Klie BIRTH: 6 Mar 1892 DEATH: Aug 1980 - Rutherford, Bergen, New Jersey, USA CIVIL: New Jersey

  5. Anna M C Klie 20 Oct 1893 Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: John F Klie Father's Age: 40 Father's Birth Place: Germany Mother's name: Anna M L Lullmann Mother's Age: 30 Mother's Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 494226

  6. Louis E Klie 22 Jul 1898 Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Father's name: John Fred Klie Mother's name: Lullmann FHL Film Number: 494241

    Death: Louis E Klie BIRTH: abt 1898 - United States DEATH: 24 Jul 1898 - Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey

1895: This census does not list addresses, exact ages or occupations - Klie, John F, Annie, William, Fred, George, Otto, Annie, Lullenann, Marie and Marie.

1896: John F Klie 84 River H Hoboken, New Jersey, USA Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory

1900: 84 River street, John F Klie 46, immigrated 1873, saloon keeper, Anna Klie 37, 5 children 5 living, immigrated 1883, William Klie 14, Frederick Klie 11, George Klie 10, Otto Klie 8, Annie Klie 6, Maria Lullenann 65, mother in law, 9 children 6 living, immigrated 1890, Evaldine Keller 14, servant

1903: John F Klie 84 River H Hoboken, New Jersey, USA Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1903

1904, 1906, 1910: John F Klie 84 River H Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, saloon

1904: A 1904 map shows Delaware Hotel, A. Bewig, Proprietor, cor. Hudson Pl. and River St. It appears to be just at the corner of River and Hudson Place. The Gonzales' American Hotel and Dining Room was at 80 River. The Hudson House was NOT listed. The Palace Hotel Charles Von Broock proprietor was listed at 39-41 Newark street.

See River Street for an image of the Delaware hotel and the other hotels facing River in the block between Hudson Place and Newark street.

1906: A 1906 map of Hoboken published by Robert C Brelle shows the "Delaware Hotel" covering the entire block of Hudson between Newark and Hudson Place.

1906: John F Klie 84 River Street Hoboken

1908: Fred age 45, Anna age 14, Fred 20 and Otto 16, all of Hoboken, US Citizens, sailed from Hamburg on the Hamburg, Dampfschiff, Emigration: nein, Accommodation: Kajute, via Southampton and Cherbourg to New York

Death of John F. Klie:

1910: John F Klie 84 River Hoboken (Est), Propr. Hoboken House, Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1910 Klie, Wm J mngr, Hoboken House 634 Hudson H.

Klie, Annie wid John F. 634 Hudson

1910: 634 Hudson street, Hoboken Ward 2, Anna M Klie 47, widow, immigrated 1883, own income, Willie J Klie 24, manager retail saloon, George D Klie 20, bookkeeper, Wells Fargo Express, Otto T Klie 18, Anna W Klie 16, Gesine Schroeder 20, servant private family

1910: 1140 Park ave, Rebecca Klie 60, widowed, 5 children 4 living, Katharine Klie 25, August Klie 28, manager fish market, Anna Klie 21, Pauline Klie 19, three family

WWI: Otto Klie 6 Mar 1892 Died 9 Aug 1980 SSN: 140099619 Enlistment Date 1: 2 Jun 1917 Release Date 1: 1 Jun 1921

1920: Weehawken, Ward 3, Boulevard East, Anna Klie 57, none, George Klie 29, general dentist, Otto Klie 27, broker real estate, Anna Klie 25, none

Prior to the Klies, John Steneck was at 84 River street. See River Street

The Klie Brothers

1870: John D Klie N Third c Prospect Jersey City, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Bartender Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1870

1882, 1883 & 1884: John D Klie, 222 Washington street, 13 Jay [home] New York, New York, USA Occupation: Liquors Publication Title: New York, New York, City Directory, 1884 - Also John F., liquors, 222 Washington st, [home] "12" Jay st.

1885 & 1886: John D Klie 2 Hudson Hoboken Liquors (only John D was listed.

1891 & 1892: Klie Brothers, (John D and John F. klie) liquors, 3 Newark Hoboken. They were also both listed separately - both h[ome] 3 Newark street, Hoboken.

The Klie Brothers and Charles Von Broock

1897: The Klie Brothers owned a corner lot "covered by a building" at Newark and River streets. The building was four stories high with about 36 feet frontage on Newark street and 70 feet frontage on River street. The property was wider at the rear due to an irregular shaped lot. The first floor was used by the Klie brothers as a "liquor saloon". The upper floors was an apartment house. The legal title to the lot abutting the property on the west, and fronting on Newark street, was held by the Hoboken Land Improvement Company and was subject to a contract to purchase from that company held by Messrs. Ernst and August Schellan. There was a small one story building on the property. Late in February, 1895, Charles Von Broock purchased the contract from the Sehellans for $13,250, and immediately assigned it to the Klei brothers for the same amount. That lot was 28 feet 2 inches in front, 70 feet deep, and 21 feet and 6 inches in width in the rear, adjoining on the east side to the west line of the Klie brother's corner lot. This property was at No. 35 Newark Street. On the west of it was a lot known at No. 39 Newark Street (also owned by the Hoboken Land Improvement Company) At No 39 Newark was a four-story building. Between Nos. 39 and 35 Newark
"was a 12-inch brick party wall, extending back about 35 or 40 feet. On the rear of No. 39 was a wooden extension, 10 or 12 feet high, to the full depth of the lot, and abutting on the easterly line without any openings towards No. 35, and forming a fence or division between the two lots. without any openings towards No. 35, and forming a fence or division between the two lots."
Upon receiving the contract for No. 35 Newark street the Klie brothers immediately removed the old building and built a one story building with a basement. There was an understanding between the Klies and Von Broock that Von Broock should have a lease on the new building to run a restaurant. The Klies and Von Broock collaborated in the design of the building. The Klies and Von Broock had an elaborate agreement which involved in part: the amount of rent, the used of ladies "toilet" room, repairs on the building, water rates, subletting, the sale of all types of wine, beer and liquor as well as cigars by the restaurant except that which they prucahsed from the Klie brothers. The new building covered the whole lot to within ten feet of the rear of the property. The building was finished in June 1895.
"From that point a projection extended about 6 feet further, that is, to within 4 feet of the rear, but to the width of only about ?? feet, leaving on each side an open space of about 5 or 6 feet, which was excavated to nearly the depth of the basement, and walled in with brick walls a little higher than the earth, thus making an ordinary window area, with a sink in the bottom to carry off rain water. Besides these two window areas, there was left a clear strip of open yard about 4 feet wide, extending across the whole width of the lot. The object of this was to afford light and air to the basement of the new building, and also to leave light and air for the westerly side of the main floor and basement of the rear of the four-story corner building. In building on this lot the complainants made use of the party wall between No. 35 and No. 39 as far to the rear as it reached, and then built an independent wall on their own side of the line as far as the main body of the building, which, as we have seen, is 10 feet from the rear of the line. Upon each of the two areas two windows opened from the basement, - one upon each from the main building, and one upon each on the side of the rear extension. There was no door leading into the back yard or areas. The rear basement was used as a kitchen, the range being on the west. On the main floor was a gentlemen's toilet room on the west side, and a ladies' toilet room on the east side adjoining the complainants' liquor saloon, and there was an open doorway connection with the complainants' saloon, so that persons could pass freely from one to the other. The restaurant was finished In August, 1895, and the defendants immediately took possession, and have since occupied it for their business."
In the fall of 1896 with the permission of the Klie brothers Von Broock "inclosed the easterly area, and placed in it their ice box and refrigerator."

In the spring of 1896 Von Broock decided to enlarge his business and rented NO. 39 (to the west) from the Hoboken Land Improvement Company. Von Broock immediately began to make alterations and in doing so

"tore down the wooden building in the rear, which had formed a dividing barrier between Nos. 39 and 35, and erected a one story brick building in its place, with the side wall placed, or intended so to be, up to the line of the Hoboken Land Improvement Company's land, and left in this wall two open spaces on the side next No. 35, - one a window opening upon the west area of No. 35, and another a door opening upon the main yard. The object of this door was to make a passageway from No. 39 to the kitchen of No. 35, and with this view they tore out the window looking from the kitchen upon the west area, and prepared to make a door in its place, by enlarging the opening. Complainants, being apprised of this project, protested, and forbade it, and made use of a window which opened from the rear of the corner lot occupied by them upon the yard of No. 35 to gain access thereto for the purpose of building a brick wall as a hoarding or barrier on the rear of the westerly line of No. 35, and thus shut up the window and door so proposed to be opened upon their lot from No. 39. In this attempt, made on Saturday, May 9th, they were forcibly resisted by the defendants. At about the same time they heard that the defendants were about to break through the party wall between No. 35 and No. 39, in the basement, and make a passageway between the two premises. They thereupon prepared their bill in this cause, and presented it to a vice chancellor on the afternoon of May 11th, setting out their title to the two lots, the lease to the defendants, and most of the facts hereinbefore stated, and praying an injunction against the breaking through of the party wall In the basement, and also against interference with their entry upon the yard in the rear of No. 35 to erect a brick hoarding against the door and window opening upon their premises from No. 39. A restraining order was granted, but before it was granted or served the defendants had succeeded, by employing laborers on Saturday evening, May 9th, to work that night and the next day, - Sunday, - in cutting an opening in the party wall, and constructing a door and passageway therein between tne two buildings. Under the protection of the restraining order the complainants gained access to the inclosed yard in question from a window in the rear of their corner building, and erected a solid brick wall 12 Inches wide, and about 12 or 14 feet high, close up to their westerly line, partly upon a new foundation, and partly upon the stone coping of the area wall of the westerly rear area, the result of which was to prevent the defendants from using the door and window which they had left in the wall of the new building on the Hoboken Land Improvement Company's land, but to leave them the use of the passageway resulting from the breaking through of the party wall. The defendants subsequently partially restored the window in the basement, and inserted in it a ventilator operated by electricity to cool the air of the kitchen. The defendants, by their cross bill, pray that the complainants may be decreed to abate and take down this wall in the rear. Complainants pray that the defendants may be restrained from using the passageway in the party wall, and may be decreed to fill it up, and restore it to its former condition.

The questions litigated are: First. Did the lease from the complainants to the defendants include the yard in the rear of the restaurant, or did it cover only the right of the use of the yard for light and air? Second. Were the complainants justified in building the brick hoarding or barrier on the west side of the rear of lot No. 35? Third. Was the breaking through of the party wall, and inserting a door in the basement, waste on the part of the defendants? And, if so, then, fourth, should the defendants be ordered to restore it?"

(Atlantic Reporter: Cases Argued and Determined in the Courts of ..., Volume 37 By West Publishing Company and others)

The judge's decision"
"I will advise a decree that the defendants be restrained from permitting the opening in the party wall made by them on or about May 10, 1896, to remain in its present condition, or from permitting the party wall between the leased premises and those of the Hoboken Land Improvement Company on the west to be in any other condition than it was prior to the opening made therein by the defendants; and, further, If complainants desire themselves to do the work of restoration, then that the defendants be restrained from preventing the complainants from so doing at a reasonable time and in a reasonable manner; and the court will name a special master, under whose supervision the work of restoration shall be done, If the parties cannot agree thereupon. The provision for restoration may also include the window opening upon the area If the brickwork has not already been restored to Its original condition."

Charles B. Brush - 11, 13, 15 Newark Street

1880: Charles B Brush resigned as Engineer of the Hudson River Tunnel citing no practical experience in the construction of caissons.

1887: Charles B Brush was in charge of the building two miles of sewers in West Hoboken.


Chas. B. Brush, Civil Engineer, No. 13 Newark Street.

The profession of a civil engineer is one of great responsibility, and one requiring the highest order of ability, coupled with skill and experience. One of the most popular and respected civil engineers located in Hoboken is Mr. Chas. B. Brush, whose offices are situated at Nos. 11, 13, and 15 Newark street. This business was established in 1867 by Spielmann & Brush, who conducted it till 1883, when Mr. Spielmann died and Mr. Brush succeeded to the management. Mr. Brush was born in New York, and early evinced an aptitude for mathematical aud engineering studies, resulting when he commenced the practice of his profession in his making rapid progress. The fidelity and accuracy of all his plans and engineering designs have been duly recognized, and ne has been entrusted during the last quarter of a century with some of the most important public and private work that has been executed in New Jersey and New York. He has from the start been actively engaged as an engineer and surveyor in laying out and marking the boundaries of parks, streets, and as an expert in construction, etc. Mr. Brush is chief engineer and superintendent of the Hackensack Water Co., professor of civil engineering at the University of the City of New York, and engineer of the Hudson River Tunnel, consulting engineer for Greenwood Cemetery, Long Branch, Scranton, Montclair, and other water works, and made the examinations for the foundations of the Harlem River, Poughkeepsie, and other large bridges. He built the Hackensack Water Works, Fourteenth Street Ferry (New York and Hoboken), residences of Mr. Holtz and Luecke, and a number all over Hudson county, and his attainments in the profession have been duly recognized in the scientific world, having been elected an active member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, American and New England Water Works Associations, Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc. Limit of space prevent our making reference to the long list of improvements, estates, lots, street openings, etc., of which he has had charge and carefully surveyed. He possesses handsomely furnished offices extending through three buildings and well-lighted draughting rooms, where an efficient corps of assistants is constantly employed. Those contemplating any kind of engineering work, or the survey of one lot or a hundred, of a plot, or farm, or tract of land, construction of roads, lawns, water works, examinations f or foundations, etc., in fact, anything in this line, will find him prepared to promptly and efficiently execute all commissions at most moderate prices. (Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centers ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887)

1889: Harry C Styles, a bookkeeper for civil engineer Charles B Brush, embezzled $1,993 in the four months of his employment with Mr. Brush.

1889: J. E. Brush, a retired merchant and the father of Charles B. Brush, was killed at a railroad crossing in Harlem. No details were given. Charles B Brush was working on the water supply of Cincinnati at the time.

1896: Charles B Brush said the water in Hoboken in 1884 was very bad but after aeration it was improved. It was claimed a green to bluish scum was on the surface of the water. The "work" of improving the water had progresses over the last three years.


CHARLES BENJAMIN BRUSH, M. Am. Soc. C. E. Died June 3d, 1897. Charles Benjamin Brush was born in New York City on February 15th, 1848, one of three sons and three daughters of Eliza (Turck) and Jonathan E. Brush. He was graduated from New York University in 1867 with the degree of Civil Engineer, and returned to that institution as Instructor in 1874. He was promoted to the position of Professor of Civil Engineering in 1888, and became Dean of the School of Engineering in 1895, when he was honored with the degree of Doctor of Science. Although his health failed about this time, he continued officially at the head of the Engineering School until his death.

Immediately after graduation, Mr. Brush was connected with the Engineer Corps on the Croton Aqueduct, New York City, for two years, but in 1869 he formed a partnership with the late Arthur Spielmann, M. Am. Soc. C. E., at Hoboken, N. J. This firm engaged in extensive engineering work for the following: The Hoboken Land and Improvement Company; the Hoboken Ferry Company; the Hackensack Water Company; the North Hudson County Railway Company, and for many other corporations and communities in Bergen and Hudson Counties, New Jersey.

Mr. Brush also was connected with work on the first tunnel under the Hudson River, acted as Assistant Engineer for the proposed New York-New Jersey Bridge over the Hudson River, and as Engineer for the Contractor who built the piers for the 181st Street Bridge over the Harlem River. He was Consultant on the reconstruction of the famous ceiling of the Senate Chamber at the Capitol, Albany, N. Y. As Chief Engineer, Consultant, or Managing Director, he either built, remodeled, or enlarged water and sewerage systems in New Rochelle, Irvington, Highland Falls, Southampton, Far Rockaway, and Syracuse in New York State; Plainfield, and the great Hackensack System, in New Jersey; Lancaster and Easton, Pa.; Alliance,

Ohio; Kansas City, Mo.; Kansas City, Kans.; and Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Berkeley, Va. Mr. Brush also organized branches in his office for the preparation of insurance atlases, and for making boring tests for foundations of buildings or bridges. After the death of Mr. Spielmann in 1883 and until his own health failed, he conducted the very extensive practice himself, but about 1895 he took into partnership his senior assistant, W. F. Whittemore, M. Am. Soc. C. E., under the firm name of Charles B. Brush and Company. The firm continued to conduct business until the death of Mr. Brush in 1897, and for some years following, until the virtual retirement of Col. Whittemore from active practice.

After the lapse of nearly twenty-four years it is interesting to note the high standing in professional and civic life attained by those who, as students or assistants, passed under the influence of the inspiring and successful engineer and all-round Christian gentleman, Charles B. Brush. He was an occasional contributor of technical papers, and frequently submitted discussions of remarkable clearness and interest. His reports were models of terse English and convincing logic. Personal friendship was his dominant characteristic clients became friends, students became admirers, employees respected and served him loyally. His judgment of men was remarkable, and his ability to assemble and present ideas in intelligent and convincing form was much appreciated by his clients and associates.

Mr. Brush was a member of the Engineers' Club, New York City, the American Water Works Association, and the New York University Alumni Association. He was an active worker in the Central Presbyterian Church of New York City; Superintendent of its Mizpah Chapel Sabbath School; and an Elder for many years. He was a valued Director of the Charity Organization Society.

In 1883, Mr. Brush was married to Carrie F. Cooley, who, with three children, Anna C, Joshua C, and Charles B., Jr., survives him.

Mr. Brush was elected an Associate Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers on September 6th, 1871, and a Member on September 5th, 1877; he served as a Director from 1888 to 1891, and as a Vice-President from 1892 to 1894.

Memoir prepared by Louis L. Tribus, M. Am. Soc. C. B. (Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Volume 84)

1900: Carrie T Brush 38, capitalist, 3 children 3 living, Anna C Brush 14, Joshua C Brush 12, Charles B Brush 9, Katie Walsh 32, servant, Annie Dondican 26, servant, Nelly Walkey 21, servant

1938: Death - Carrie F. Brush 28 Feb 1938 Manhattan, New York, New York, United States Address 260 West End Ave. Manhattan Age 76 Widowed Occupation Housewife Birth Date 21 Nov 1886 (Note MLB - this cannot be correct should by 1862) Birthplace USA Burial Date 03 Mar 1938 Cemetery Greenwood Father's Name Joshua Steve Cooley Father's Birthplace USA Mother's Name Anna M. Coombs Mother's Birthplace USA Spouse's Name Charles B. Brush

1942: Death - Joshua Brush 18 Apr 1942 Manhattan, New York, New York, United States 240 West En. Ave. Manhattan, Age 54 Married Occupation Cosmetic ... Birth Date 11 Sep 1887 Birthplace New York, N. Y. Burial Date 21 Apr 1942 Cemetery Greenwood Cem. Father's Name Charles B. Brush Father's Birthplace U. S. A. Mother's Name Carrie F. Cooly Mother's Birthplace U. S. A. Spouse's Name Edith B. Brush

Albert and Gustav Beyer & Aloys Tivy- 21 Newark Street

Beyer & Tivy, City Surveyors, Civil Engineers, and Architects, No. 21 Newark Street. Among the principal firms in Hoboken engaged as architects, civil engineers, and surveyors is the old-established house of Beyer & Tivy. Messrs. Beyer and Tivy were born in Germany, but have resided in the United States for the last twenty-two years. In 1867 they commenced the practice of their profession in Hoboken, and have since built up an influential and permanent patronage. The fidelity and accuracy manifested by them in civil engineering, surveying, and architecture are everywhere recognized and appreciated by patrons. They have been entrusted with some of the most important public and private work that has been executed in Hoboken and its vicinity during recent years. As architects they have achieved success, both as regards exterior elegance and the equally important details of the interior, embodying in their plans at the same time all the suggestions and requirements of the owners. They closely follow specifications in supervising construction, and in every possible way subserve the interests of their patrons. Limit of space prevent us from naming but few of the buildings designed and erected by them in New Jersey. Among the number special mention should be made of Wearing st theatre and Bernitt's Hall, Hoboken; Town Hall and school, Union township, and Meyerburg's silk mill, etc. They are at present busily engaged in the preparation of plans and designs for numerous patrons, and are at all times prepared to successfully undertake important public or private contracts. As surveyors they undertake the survey of one plot or a hundred, of farms, tracts of land, etc., and execute all commissions at moderate prices. They are the oldest established architects and surveyors in North Hudson county, having been established here for twenty years. (Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887)
Albert Beyer born circa 1844 in Germany - Gustave Beyer born circa 1846 in Germany. 1879: Tivy, Aloysius (Beyer a & Tivy) home 169 Washington, Hoboken and John A Tivy same address Occupation: City Surveyor Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1879

1880: Washington street Hoboken, Christina Phildans 35, Hans Phildans 10, son, George Phildans 8, son, Lorenz Tiviy 44, brother, plumer, Aloys Tiviy 40, brother, civil engineer, Peter Tiviy 34, brother, restauranter, born Prussia

1901: Aloys Tivy 840 Park ave. Tivy and Smith (Aloys Tivy and Eugene Smith (Schmidt)) civil engineers, 84 Washington

1888: Lorenz Tivy Birth Date: abt 1818 Birth Place: Germany Death Date: 16 Jan 1888 Death Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Death Age: 70 years 7 months Occupation: Merchant Marital Status: Married Gender: Male Father Birth Place: Germany Mother Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 589313

1890: Elizabeth Tivy Birth Date: abt 1812 Birth Place: Germany Death Date: 16 Apr 1890 Death Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Death Age: 78 years Residence: New Jersey Father Birth Place: Germany Mother Birth Place: Germany FHL Film Number: 589787

1905: Lawerence Tivy M 70 Teresa Tivy F 80 Aloys Tivy M 65 Peter "Livy" M 60 Elizabeth "Livy" F 54 (LDS No image available)


SWAYZE, J. This is a creditors' bill in aid of an execution at law. The debt due the complainant was incurred part on October 9, 1893, and part on January 17, 1894, by the firm of Tivy & Schmidt, which was composed of Peter Tivy and Aug. J. Schmidt. The business proved unsuccessful. Schmidt died In the fall of 1894, and on December 19th of that year Peter Tivy conveyed the real estate now in question to his sister, Elizabeth Tivy. In his answer to the original bill he says that his brother Aloys Tivy was the equitable owner of the property, and that the conveyance was made at the request of Aloys in payment of a debt due from Aloys to Elizabeth, and that a full consideration passed from Elizabeth to Aloys. Elizabeth in her answer says that Aloys owed her for board, and said he wanted her to have what he had. Upon these averments, the Vice Chancellor directed that an amended bill be filed and that Aloys be brought in as a party defendant This was done, and Aloys answered, setting up that the conveyance was in consideration of natural love and affection and a small amount of money then owing by him to Elizabeth for board.

At an examination in supplemental proceedings Peter testified that he conveyed the property to his sister because he wanted to get rid of it. Aloys testified that he gave his sister such a big present because it was all in the family. At the hearing before the Vice Chancellor, he said he conveyed to his sister because he did not pay his board regularly.

Elizabeth testified that Aloys owed her $1,000 for board, but she kept no account, and we think the evidence makes It clear that the family lived together, each contributing to the support of the household. Aloys was the most thrifty; and, in view of the uncertainty in the testimony, we are not satisfied that he was indebted to his sister for board. Probably it is true, as she says, that when he had money he would give her some, and when he had none he would give her nothing. Such testimony fails to Indicate that the relation betwen Aloys and Elizabeth was that of debtor and creditor.

It is, of course, not of importance what the consideration for the conveyance was as between Aloys and Elizabeth, except for the light this testimony throws upon the real question in the case, which is whether Peter held the title in trust for Aloys.

(Atlantic Reporter)

1903: Peter Tivy Residence Year: 1903 Street address: H h 840 Park av H Residence Place: Jersey City; Hoboken, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Liquors Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1903

1900: Beyer, Albert, head age 55, married 27 years, architect, Virginia, age 48 1 child 1 living, Dollie daughter age 13, Next to them Beyer, Gustave, head age 54 married 5 years, architect, Antoinette, wife age 45, 2 2 children 2 living, Carrie age 4 Katie age 10

Hoboken engineer/architect, Albert Beyer designed the Franklin street steps which connected Hoboken and Jersey City Heights.

Albert Beyer was the architectural supervison for the construction of the Fre Public Library of Hoboken in 1894.

Albert Beyer's son, Richard born in 1868, was elected president of the Hoboken Board of Trade in 1915 at the time it was stated:

"His father, Albert Beyer, was well known for many years for his professional activities in Hoboken, he having designed among other buildings the Hoboken Public Library, Public School No. 6 and the Second Precinct Police Station. Richard Beyer is a graduate of the Hoboken High School of the class of '84, and Stevens Institute, class of '88, and has been continuously engaged in the profession of mechanical and civil engineer since his graduation from the institute." (The Stevens Indicator, Volume 33)

Charles Von Broock and the Palace Hotel - 29 Newark Street

1896- 1896: Charles Von Broock opened a restaurant at 29 Newark street. See Klie brothers above.


HOBOKEN HOTELS The Palace Hotel cafe and restaurant, Around the corner form the Soulier's Lyric Theatre. Special rates to the profession

Von Broock and Wiederman Proprietors


STORM OF ICE AND SELTER.; Saloon Keeper, Unable to Dislodge Dog Guarding His Sleeping Master, Turns on the Man.

Rees P. Francis, a Hoboken livery stable keeper, entered the barroom of the Palace Hotel, in Newark Street, on Friday night. He was accompanied by a big dog, half mastiff, half St. Bernard. After taking a drink Francis sat down and fell asleep. His dog lay down at his feet and kept guard over him. Whenever any one went too near the dog showed his teeth with a vicious growl.

When it came time to close the place, Charles Von Broock, the owner, tried to dislodge the dog, the animal set up such and ugly growl that von Broock sought safty behing the bar. From this point of vantage he pelted the dog with cracked ice, while the barkeeper assailed the animal with an artillery fusillade from several well-charged seltzer bottles. The dog did not seem to mind this, while the pieces of ice were caught in his mouth and swallowed with evident enjoyment.

Von Brock finally changed his tactics. He pelted Francis with cracked ice until practice enabled him to lodge several pieces inside Francis's collar. This roused him, and on awaking sufficiently to comprehend the situation he cooly refused to call off his dog until Von Broock set up the drinks. The saloon keeper was very glad to do so. Then Francis and his dog went home and Von Broock put up the shutters and locked the doors.

(New York Times October 15, 1899)

1900: 43 Newark street, Charles A Von Broock 36, married 6 years, born Germany, immigrated 1878, hotel keeper, Flora Von Broock 29, 3 children 3 living, born New Jersey, Mildred Von Broock 5, Charles Von Broock 3, Walter Von Broock 1, Emma Von Broock 38, sister, immigrated 1876, mgr restaurant

1904: Von Broock, Charles (Palace Hotel) 39 Newark Hoboken

1907: From detail in an article about an attempted suicide that occurred in the hotel in 1907, there were rooms with baths attached. In the room was a bath tub and a china water pitcher on a wash stand.

1910: Von Broock, Chas, hotel, 39 Newark, h 1018 Hudson Hoboken

1920: East Orange Ward 3, Essex, New Jersey 81 Carnegie Ave - Charles Von Broock 56, proprietor hotel, Flora Von Broock 48 Carl Von Broock 23, salesman export company, Walter Von Broock 22, salesman export company, Emma Von Broock 62, sister, none

1921: Twelve people, six men and six women died in a fire at the Colonial Hotel in Hoboken including Elmo Snider, age 26 of Brooklyn foreman of air brake inspectors of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Railroad.

All of the 46 guests rooms and 6 employees rooms were occupied except the room in wich the fire appears to have started. There were 95 people total in the hotel. There was only one fire escape which was at the rear of the building. The building was four stories at 39 41 Newark street. The appeared untouched form the outside except for a few broken windows - but inside the place was in ruins - fire gutted with blackened walls and charred furniture. The fire was blamed on a carelessly discarded cigarette.

"Hotel Company Sued for $50,000 Damages" Charles Von Broock of East Orange, N. J. president of the Colonial Hotel and Restaurant in Hoboken and the hotel manager, Henry Scharsing, were named in a suit brought by a widow, Mrs. Elizabeth G Snider of Brooklyn who's husband, Elmo Snider, had died in a fire at the hotel on January 30th. "Twelve other people were burned to death." The suit was brought because it was claimed there were no rope fire escape or fire gongs as required by law. The hotel denied the negligence. (New York Hotel Record, Volumes 19-20)

The suit charged Charles Von Broock of 81 Carnegie Ave, East Orange one of the owners and president of the company, and Henry Scharshing, manager and part owner. Mr. Von Broock and Mr. Scharsching had been indicted for manslaughter a short time before by a Hudson grand jury.

Von Broock denied the charges and insinuated that the reason some people did not get out in time was because they were drunk.

"Not many suits are expected against the Colonial Company because of the publicity they will invite to the families of the victims, since it has been repeatedly alleged that the place was a disorderly rooming house at the time of the fire." (Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 16, July 1921)

The suit was still active in January 1923 when it was reported that the body of Elmo Snider an employe of Brooklyn Rapid Transit was found in room 21. Beside him was the body of Mrs. Hester Constance Petersen also of Brooklyn and also and employee of B. R. T. Von Broock denied responsibility for the death stating that Snider was not a guest of the hotel but was there as a trespasser unknown to the management. (BDE - 10 Jan 1923)

Passport application for Flora G. von Broock: Flora Von Broock born Hoboken, March 12, 1874, July 9, 1921, East Orange, New Jersey, husband Charles Von Broock

1929: Penn Stroud - the Metropolitan Hotel of the Poconos - 200 rooms - European plan, Von Broock bros.

1930: Stroudsburg, Monroe, Pennsylvania Stroudsburg, Monroe, Pennsylvania, Own $300,000, Charles O Vonbroock 65, proprietor hotel, Flora G Vonbroock 59, Carl Vonbroock 33, son, manager hotel, Horace B Jenkins 44, servant, waiter, Daniel Taylor 44, servant, waiter, William Mackie 47, servant, kitchen man, Timothy T Watson 20, servant, helper kitchen

1967: The Penn-Stroud Hotel at the corner of Main and Seventh sts. in Stroudsburg Pa. in the Poconos was to be torn down and replaced by a motel. The original hotel was built in 1833. In 1921 the hotel was bought by Charles Von Broock who changed the name of the hotel to Penn-Stroud Hotel.

Herman Freund (1868-)

1878: Herman C Freund 803 Newark av Hoboken, New Jersey, USA Occupation: Brewer Publication Title: Jersey City, New Jersey, City Directory, 1878

1910: 32 Newark street, Hoboken, Herman Freund 32, born Austria, married 7 years 2 children 2 living, salesman restaurant, Gussie Freund 32, wife, Harry Freund 4, son, Cecilia Freund 3, daughter, Sarah Freund 67, mother, Wm Drieglenig 19, waiter, Otto Klink 22, waiter, Alcksandra Bagdela 20, waiter, Tillie Bagdela 18, kitchen hand, Katie Wytcren 22, kitchen hand, Sophie Gural 19, kitchen hand, Annie Witanich 19, kitchen hand, Cordia Klemm 45, chef, Benjimar Hammer 20, order cook, Louis Schehter 18, order cook Harry Balto 16, handy man, Michael Hug 34, waiter, Lillian Hug 24, none, John Buschowcky 34, kitchen hand, Otly Dady 45, farmer, Max Seitlemann 18, Fred Bernhardt 18, Carl Luthere 22, Wm Lunsmark 40, Archibald Decker 57, rest laborers, mostly Polish and yiddish speakers

Walter Ussler (Wesler?) - 36 Newark street

1910: 36 Newark street, Walter Ussles 42, born Germany, married 15 years 2 children 2 living, salesman cafe, Emma Ussles 42 Martha Ussles 13 Ellie Ussles 6 Otto Kind 28, salesman cafe, Arnold Fick 36, salesman cafe, Carl Hand 28, Charles Diecher 40, Otto Schrader 26, Peter Bonhof 42, Wm Hill 26, Wm Schultz 24, Richard Siegmand 27, Richard Wittig 32, Hugo Jiising 26, Franz Ridel 23, Charles Mert 34

Ernst Bartel (Bartels) - 34 Newark Street

Ernst Bartels was listed at 34 Newark street with a saloon from 1901 to 1910.

1900: Manhattan, East 53rd Street, Ernst Bartels 29, bartender, Lizzie Bartels 27, Ernest Bartels 5, August Bartels 4, Annie Bartels 1, Thedore Bartels 1

Listed as "BaNtels" by

1910: 34 Newark street, Earnst Bartell 39, married 17 years 6 children 6 still living, "salesman" cafe, Louisa Bartell 36, Earnst Bartell 16, "salesman" cafe, August Bartell 14, coffin industry, Anna Bartell 12 Theodore Bartell 10 Amelia Bartell 5 Edward Bartell 2 two family six lodgers

Death of Ernst Bartels:

1917 WWI DR:

  1. August Bartels, single 806 Washingotn street, wears glasses, office clerk, Eire RR, NYC single
  2. Ernst Henry Gerard Bartels,single, 806 Washington Hoboken, transformer high tension transformer Hoboken mother and bother.
  3. Theodore Bartels single 806 Washington street, Hoboken, clerk, Erie RR Co. mother Louise Bartles 908 Washington st, Hoboken

1920: Hoboken, 806 Washington street, Louisa Bartels 47, widow, immigrated 1880, Ernest Bartels 26, electrician, contractor, August Bartels 24, book keeper, gas company, Emelia Bartels 15, Edward Bartels 11, Olanda Wall 65, lodger

Antonio Saventi (Servanti) - Charles Serventi - 44 Newark street

In 1903 Antonio Servanti had a saloon at 44 Newark st. He lived at 229 Monroe street.

1880: Newark street East side, Hoboken, Antony Sevanty 30, huster, Antonetta Sevanty 18

1900: 313 Adams street, Anthony Seventi 50, retired, married 20 years, Antonett Seventi 34, 7 children 6 living, Andrew Seventi 18, bartender, Arthur Seventi 16, R. R. messenger, Julia Seventi 14, seamstress, John Seventi 12, Anna Seventi 10, Anglo Seventi 6, Anglur Seventi 72, mother-in-law, 9 children 1 living, adults born Italy children born New Jersey


  1. Death: Arcesto Serventi Birth Date: abt 1881 Birth Place: United States Death Date: 23 Aug 1881 Death Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey Death Age: 11 months Gender: Male Father Birth Place: Italy Mother Birth Place: Italy FHL Film Number: 589831

  2. Andrew December 19, 1881

  3. Arthur - Arcesto Charles June 3, 1883

  4. Mariam Angelam Aloysiam Serventi FATHER: Antonio Serventi BAPTISM: 8 Sep 1885 - Saint Joseph-Catholic, Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
  5. Joannem Attilium Serventi FATHER: Antonio Serventi BIRTH: 26 Nov 1887 - Saint Joseph-catholic, Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey BAPTISM: 4 Dec 1887 - Saint Joseph, Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
  6. Antonia Servanti FATHER: Antonia Servanti BIRTH: 21 Dec 1881 - Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
  7. John Servanti MOTHER: Antonette Servanti FATHER: Anton Servanti BIRTH: 6 Nov 1887 - Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
  8. Anna Servanti MOTHER: Antonia Servanti FATHER: Antonni Servanti BIRTH: 20 Aug 1890 - Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
  9. Angelo Servanti MOTHER: Antonette Servanti FATHER: Antoni Servanti BIRTH: 3 Jan 1893 - Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey New Jersey, Births Index
1905: Mrs. Julia "Sevanti" and her husband of 44 Newark street Hoboken were on their way to a butcher shop on Washington street when a man suddenly reached out and pinched Mrs. Sevanti's hip. She screamed. A cop arrested the man. In court he claimed he was not in the habit of pinching women. He paid a fine of $25.

1910: Hoboken Ward 4, 229 Monroe street, Anthony Serventi 62, retired mer., Anntette Serventi 47 John Serventi 24, salesman saloon, Julia Serventi 22, teacher, school, Anna Serventi 20, stenographer office, Angelo Serventi 17, none

1915: Serventi
Angelo, porter r 229 Monroe
Anthony h 229 Monroe
Chas A sal 38 Newark st
Jno L bartnder h 229 Monroe

1920: 229 Monroe street, Hoboken Ward 4, Anthony Serventi 71, retired, immigrated from Italy 1874, Antonette Serventi 58 John Serventi 32, bartender, Angelo Serventi 26, bartender

1896: Wanted Cook - Good night cook who can open oysters & clams - 44 Neward ave, Hoboken, N. J. (The World, 12 June 1896)

1897: Cook - Girl that understands cooking & ordering fro restaurant 44 Newark st. Hoboken (The World, June 21, 1897) In the 1976 bicentennial Hoboken booklet it was stated that the Clam Broth House was founded by Charles Serventi.

Based on the 1910 census and other records Charles Serventi was born in 1883. He would have been only 16 years old in 1899. Therefor I suggest that the roriginal restaurant was founded by his father, Anthony and taken over by Charles. His brother, Andrew, also had a saloon in Hoboken in the early 1900s.

In 1906 Charles Serventi was listed as a bartender at 44 Newark street.

The 1910 census listed Charles Serventi 27, salesman own saloon, Louisa Serventi 25, wife, Mariea Serventi 1 at 550 Second street

Also listed in 1910 at 38 Newark street, were were Andrew Serventi 29, head salesman cafe, John Serventi 22, brother, Charles Serventi 25, brother, Walter Wickes 32 Charles Porter 35 Alfred W Campbell 54 [50] Herman J Meese 36, porter, cafe, Micheal Ward 41, salesman cafe, Peter Cassazza 32,m salesman cafe, Fred Shimmer 24 John Turhune 36 De Ericko Vinanzo 26, lunchman cafe, Thomas Ruddix 22 Ade Eager 37 Emil Shimmer 53, whee an occupation is not noted, the others were laborers of various sorts.

In 1915 Charles Serventi was listed at 38 Newark street.

In 1918 Charles Chester Serventi 38 Newark Street, born June 3, 1883 saloon keeper, own business registered for the WWI draft.

The 1920 census in Hoboken listed Charles Serventi 36, proprietor hotel, born New Jersey, parents born Italy, Louisese Serventi 33, wife, Marie Serventi 7, daughter, John Serventi 32, brother waiter hotel, Herman Harries 55, lodger, waiter, hotel, Joseph Mc Kewna 44, lodger, waiter, hotel, Patrick Neri 45, lodger, waiter hotel, Michael Dee 40, James Smith 30, Thomas Donnelson 71, George Scot 33, at 38 Newark street, Also listed in 1920 at 550 Second street, Charles Serventi 36, saloon keeper, born New Jersey parents born Italy, Louise Serventi 33, Marie Serventi 10

Alchester Charles Serventi 34 Newark street hHobokne registered for the WWII draft. birth day June 3, 1883, daughter Marie Serventi Garibaldi.

William S. Hale and Charles H. O'Neil 83 to 89 Newark Street

Hale & O'Neil, Proprietors of Whitmore Mill, Pine and Hard Wood Trim, Moldings, Stair Rail, Doors, Sash, Blinds, Window Frames, Washtubs, etc., Main Office and Mill, Nos. 83 to 89 Newark Street. The building trade of Hoboken is one of the utmost importance to the interest of the city, and among the prominent houses engaged in supplying the material for the use of contractors and builders none are more worthy of honorable mention than that of Messrs. Hale & ONeil, known as the Whitmore Mills. This firm are extensive manufacturers of and dealers in pine and hard wood moldings, trim, stair rail, doors, sash, blinds, window frames, washtubs, etc., and succeeded to the proprietorship in February, 1887. Their office in New York is located at No. 1193 Broadway, Gilsey Buildings, Room 20, and is under the experienced management of Mr. Alex. Anderson. The Whitmore mill is a two-story building 75x100 feet in dimensions, with an L 2"x100 feet, and is fitted up with wood-working machinery of all kinds necessary for the requirements of the business, operated by a seventy-five-horse power steam engine, and employment is furnished to a large force of skilled and experienced workmen. The productions of the firm include all kinds of builders' outside and inside hard wood and pine finish, which are furnished both in their own designs and to order, a large stock of regular size being kept on hand, with ample facilities for their prompt manufacture to order. The unsurpassed mechanical and other facilities appertaining to this house render the firm competent to offer inducements of the most desirable nature to patrons, while the promptness, efficiency, and reliability with which all contracts are fulfilled warrant the remark that no more desirable establishment can be found with which to form business relations. The | proprietors, Messrs. William S. Hale and Charles H. O'Neil, are gentlemen of large experience in their business and of high standing in the community. (Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887)

Dirk I Peters - 124 Newark Street

1887: Dirk I. Peters, House Sign, and Fresco Painter Painters' Supplies and Paperhangings, No. 124 Newark Street. Mr. Peters is a thoroughly practical painter, and employs none but skilled labor, so that all orders entrusted to him can be relied on to be faithfully executed in a workmanlike manner. He occupies spacious and commodious premises, neatly and appropriately fitted up, and containing a fine stock of paints, mixed and unmixed, oils, varnishes, brushes, glass, putty, and painters' supplies generally, which he offers at very low prices. He does all kinds of house and sign painting, frescoing, graining, and calcimining in a perfect manner and on moderate terms. He is prepared to make estimates and enter into contracts for the entire painting and paperhanging of private residences and other buildings. Many of the fine residences in this city owe much of their beauty and attractiveness to the skill of this gentleman. His business is large and is steadily and surely increasing. He is a native of Germany, and came to this country in 1879, and to this city at the same time. Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887

Klein Brothers - Newark and Park

Klein Brothers, Manufacturers of Express and Business Wagons. Newark st and Park ave - One of the principal houses in Hoboken engaged in the manufacture of express and business wagons is that of Messrs. Klein Brothers. This business was established eleven years ago by the present proprietors, Messrs. Jacob and Joseph Klein, both of whom are thoroughly practical wagon builders. The premises occupied comprise three spacious buildings, which are utilized as blacksmith and construction shops, repository, etc. The workshops are fully equipped with every facility as regards machinery, tools, and modern labor-saving appliances. Twenty-five experienced workmen are employed, and the machinery is driven by a twenty-horse power steam engine. Messrs. Klein Brothers manufacture all kinds of express and business wagons, carriages, trucks, etc., and make a specialty of heavy work. Only the best materials are utilized, carefully selected, and well seasoned. Carriages turned out here are absolutely unexcelled for durability, strength, finish, and reliability. A visit to the repository of this popular firm will satisfy purchasers and their friends that the vehicles of this house are without a rival, and justly merit the commendations bestowed upon them by the trade and public. (Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887)

1881: On the 1881 map at Newark and Park Newark streets and Park ave.



Fashion Plate and the accompanying working drawings have been prepared for us by Mr. Jacob Klein, a pupil of the Technical School, and represent a wagon built by Messrs. Klein Bros, of Newark st. and Park ave., Hoboken, N.J.

More The Automotive Manufacturer, Volume 30

First National Banck - Newark and Hudson

First National Bank of Hoboken, corner Newark and Hudson Streets. The First National Bank of Hoboken stands foremost among the fiduciary institutions of the city and State. It was incorporated thirty years ago as the Hoboken City Bank, and was reorganized under the national banking laws with its present corporate name in 1865, and an extension of its charter was obtained in 1885. The capital stock of the bank is $110,000, and it is officered as follows, viz.: President, Saml. R. Syms; vice-president, Hazen Kimball; cashier, Wm. B. Goodspeed. Directors, S. R. Syms, H. Kimball, T. Butts, J. W. Stickler, D. M. Demerest, J. C. Bessen, R. C. Livingston, A. E. Crevier, Louis Becker, R. E. Gardner, J. H. Brown, 8. B. Dodd, and John Stevens. This is not only one of the oldest banks of Hoboken, but is one of the best managed and most liberally patronized. From the outset it has retained the confidence of the public in a marked degree. A general banking business is transacted, including the receiving of deposits, the discounting of approved commercial paper, the collection of drafts, etc. Under its present wise and conservative management this bank is doing a large and safe business, all of its movements being marked with prudence, caution, and honorable business methods. Its executive officers are men with whom it is a pleasure to do business. Mr. Syms has for thirteen years filled with ability the office of president of the bank, and Mr. Goodspeed has for twenty-three years been responsibly connected with the institution, and since 1880 has been the efficient cashier. The officers are all natives of New Jersey, and the Board of Directors comprises much of the solid business element of the city. The surplus of the bank is $22,000, with undivided profits aggregating $90,000, a showing which emphasizes the popular faith in the institution by the public in general. (Quarter-century's progress of New Jersey's leading manufacturing centres ... By International Publishing Company (New York, N.Y.) 1887)

If you have any suggestions, corrections, information, copies of documents, or photos that you would like to share with this page, please contact me at

Connecting Hoboken Pages


Please feel free to link to this web page.

©Maggie Land Blanck - Page created 2004 - Latest update, April 2016