Joseph Land (1896-) and Mary Elizabeth Lorah |
Birth of Joseph A Land, Sr.
Joseph, born January 22, 1896, the son of Law Land, carpenter, age 38, born in England, and Elizabeth Sykes, age 39, born in England, the eighth of eighth living children, address 14th Street, Hoboken. I can't read the house number because the ink is faded.
(New Jersey Birth Registration).
Marriage of Joseph A. Land, Sr. & Mary Elizabeth Lorah
Joseph Land married Mary Elizabeth Lorah. (Information from Michael Tyrkala)
They were married circa 1922 per 1930 census.
I did not find a listing for the marriage of Joseph Land in the New York State indexes.
They may have married in Pennsylvania, Mary's home state.
Mary Elizabeth Lorah and Her Family
Mary Elizabeth Lorah was born in Sonestown, Pa. 10th November 1888 father Jacob Lorah, born
Columbia, County, Pa. (Passport application)
Sonestown is north west of Allentown.
According to some information posted
on GenForum. Jacob Lorah fought in the Civil War. He married
Anna Louise Mendenhall Trappe in Muncy Meeting. They had three daughters. One died
as a child. The others were: Mary Elizabeth and Anna Gertrude.
"About the same time William and Jacob Lirah and Thomas Dent engaged in lumbering,
farming and mercantile business in the place. In 1869 the Sones property was
purchased by Messrs. Lorah and Dent. Jacob Lorah engaged in the mercantile business.
A few years later Robert Whitacre erected a store and dwelling house and
engaged in the same occupation."
Settlement of Muncy Valley
Quotes and queries: Historical, biographical, and genealogical ..., Volume 2 edited by William Henry Egle
"Anna Louisa Mendenhall m. Walter B. Trapp, who died August 9, 1876,
son of Thomas and Mary Jane Trapp. Two children: I. Mary, deceased. II.
Walter C. After the death of Walter, Anna m. Jacob Lorah; dwells at Bloomsburg, Pa.,
and has III. Mary. IV. Gertrude."
The Lundy family and their decendants of whatsoever surname: with a ... By William C. Armstrong
2 June 1898 Sonestown funeral of Jacob Lorah.
Mary Elizabeth Lorah was with the American Red Cross in 1918.
She returned stateside on 14 July 1919 from Brest to New York.
Bloomsburg, Columbia, Pennsylvania
Anna L Lorah 50,
Mary E Lorah 11,
Anna G Lorah 6
Lansdowne, Delaware, Pennsylvania
Adalade M Graham 42, store keeper,
Anna M Lorah 69, servant, widow, house keeper,
Gertrude Lorah 26, boarder, clerk store,
Louise B Crow, boarder, 52, bookkeeper.
Mrs. Lorah died February 1929 in Philadelphia.
Children of Joseph A Land, Sr. and Mary Elizabeth Lorah
Joe and Mary had:
- Libby (Elizabeth) Land 1922 - and Obadiah H. (AKA O. H.)
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Land of Brooklyn announce the birth of a daughter Elizabeth November 12,
1922 (Long Islander)
On the girl's hockey team Smithtown High School, 1939 (High School Year book)
O. H. Faircloth. (Correction from Michael Tyrkala, April 2004.
Helen Land had listed him as D. H. Fairchild)
- Mary Ann E. Faircloth, 1945-1946 buried Hauppauge
Cemetery in the Land plot.
O. H. Faircloth WWII:
O H Faircloth
Birth Year: 1920
Nativity State or Country: Georgia
State of Residence: Georgia
County or City: Lowndes
Enlistment Date: 19 Dec 1941
Enlistment State: Florida
Enlistment City: Jacksonville
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of
Education: 2 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Electricians
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
US Public Index
O H Faircloth
Birth Date: 14 Jan 1920
Address: 301 NW 116th St, Miami, FL, 33168-3414
Death of Obadiah Faircloth ??????: Obadiah Faircloth
Born: 14 Jan 1920
Last Benefit: 33168 Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States of America
Died: Feb 1980
State (Year) SSN issued: Georgia (Before 1951)
Elizabeth L Faircloth 88 Miami, FL
Pembroke Pines, FL Relatives,
Deborah J Faircloth,
O H Faircloth,
Joseph A Faircloth Jr
- Joseph Land Jr April 25, 1925
Freshman at Alfred University, September 1942
Military induction: 40 men were inducted in
July 1943 including Land, Joseph A Jr. Smithtown Branch
Joseph A Land Jr
Nativity State or Country:
County or City:
18 Jun 1943
New York City
Term of Enlistment:
Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Civil Life, Education:
1 year of college
Student Codes 0x, 2x, 4x and 6x as pertain to students will be converted, for machine records purposes, to the code number 992.
Single, without dependents
Prisoner of War WWII NASA:
SERIAL NUMBER 32971677
NAME LAND JOSEPH A JR
Private First Class
ARM OR SERVICE CODE 10 INF: INFANTRY
DATE REPORT: DAY 20
YEAR 4 1944
AREA 72 European Theatre: Germany
LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY 11
STATUS 5 Died as Prisoner of War
DETAINING POWER 1 GERMANY
CAMP 089 Stalag 9B Bad Orb Hessen-Nassau, Prussia 50-09
This record indicates that Joseph was captured December 20, 1944.
Family history says that Joe was captured at the Battle of the Bulge.
Roster of our Heros Who Made Supreme Sacrifice, July 1946 County Review,
Land, Jospeh A. Jr.
Joseph A Land captured at the Battle of the Bulge (December 1944-January 1945) was originally taken
to Stalag IX-B near Frankfurt. Joe Land was among 350 American GIs transferred to Berga Work Camp
in February 1945 where they were treated as slave labor. Berga had one of the highest death rates
of any Prisoner of War camp in Europe. Joseph Land was one of the 73 prisoners who died as a
result of overwork and starvation. Just as the war was ending the Germans marched the
Berga prisoners south. On the way many prisoners died. They arrived in Zedtwitz about
50 miles south of Berga on April 8, 1945. Sometime in the following five days Joe Land was one
of 11 GIs who died. The war ended May 8, 1945.
Information from Soldiers and Slaves by
Roger Cohen, 2005
Burial Arlington National Cemetery:
Joseph A Land Jr PFC service #32971677 was buried in Arlington National Cemetery,
Fort Myer, Virginia.
--- 110 INF
--- INF DIV
WORLD WAR II
APRIL 26, 1925
APRIL 9 1945
My father in law, John Blanck, was also a POW of the Germans in WWII.
For information and images of his POW experience go to
John Blanck, Military Service
now or at the bottom of the page.
- Margaret Land and John Edward Tyrkala
Birth: Margaret Carleton Land unknown, after 1930.
Margaret married John Edward Tyrkala.
Children: They had 2 sons and 2 daughters.
(Information from Michael Tyrkala, April 2004)
Death of John E Tyrkala: JOHN E TYRKALA, 20 Nov 1929, 28 Jan 2004 (V),
33870 (Sebring, Highlands, FL), (none specified), 149-22-2120, New Jersey
Full Name John E Tyrkala
Last (Surname) Tyrkala
Gender M (*inferred)
Born 20 Nov 1929
Died 28 Jan 2004
Age 74y 2m 8d (*inferred)
Cemetery Florida National Cemetery, Sumter County, Florida, United States
Location Section 124 Site 545
1900 and 1910 Censuses
World War I and WWII Draft Registrations
Passport Application, 1918
Joseph A. Land born Hoboken, New Jersey 2 January 1897 to Law Land born England living Hauppauge Long Island immigrated from Liverpool about 1884 and has been in the US
for 34 years, naturalized citizen, court unknown January 1902. Joseph stated his occupation as
bookkeeper. He had never been abroad before.
Desired a passport to go to France to do Red Cross work. Intending to leave US
from New York about March 1918. Stamped March 26, 1918.
1918 Return From Europe
Cunard Carmania, 12 April 1918, Liverpool to New York,
Land, Joseph A. age 21, Amer. Red X, born U. S.A.
January 31, 1919, The Long Islander
A reception was held Tuesday evening at the home of
Mr. and Mrs. Law Land for their son, Sergeant Joseph Land, who this week returned from a year's service as an American Red
Cross driver in France. Norman Land and Harry Nichols, both recently discharged
from the U. S. N. R. F. were also present besides fifty guests.
Refreshments were served under the direction of the ladies of the
M. E. Church.
According to articles in the Long Islander he was living in New York City in 1920
1922 in Brooklyn
Mr and Mrs. Joseph Land were living in Brooklyn.
In 1923 they were listed as being from Richmond Hill (which is in Queens).
Summer of 1924
The Long Islander said Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Land and daughter were living in "Percy Land's tenement house for the summer"
Hauppauge of 1924.
Another articles indicates that their normal address during
1923 and 1924 was in Brooklyn.
1925 State Census
Listed as confectionary salesman.
See Lands in the Censuses
Long Islander, April 13, 1928
The family of Joseph Land moved to Smithtown from Stoney Brook.
Long Islander, August 3, 1928
Mrs. Joseph Land and children were visiting her mother, Mrs. Lorah, in Philadelphia.
The Joseph Land family lived on Mayflower Ave. Smithtown Branch.
Hawkins Avenue, Smithtown Branch
- Joseph Land, head own, $5,500, age 33, married 25, born NJ, realtor
- Mary Land, age 41, married 33, born Pa
- Elizabeth A. Land, age 7
- Joseph Land Jr., 4 years and 11 months
Children born NY
1930 according to an article in the Port Jefferson Echo.
Move to New Hampshire
Family history says they moved to New Hampshire sometime after WWII and
ran a hotel in Lyme.
Move to Florida
Family history says the whole family moved to Florida.
Death of Mary L Land
Mary L Land,
"MRS. MARY L. LAND
Death of Joseph A Land
Services for Mrs. Mary L.
Land, 69, of 122000 NE 12th Ct. will be
at 11 a.m. tomorrow
in the Church of the Resurrection under direction of the
Philbrick Miami Shores Chapel. Mrs. Land, who died yesterday
is survived by her husband, Joseph A;
two daughters Mrs. Margaret Tyrkala and
Faircloth all of Miami; four grandchildren and a sister.
The Palm Beach Post Monday October 6, 1958
Joseph A Land,
County of Death:
State of Death:
Male (Florida Death Index)
Information from Michael Tyrkala, April 7, 2002
On April 7, 2002, Michael Tyrkala, a grandson of Joseph Land, emailed the following information.
"Joseph Land Sr's wife, Mary Elizabeth Lorah is from the Mendenhall family who today has a family
association, mendenahall.org .
Many people were doing the same research and
combined resources. I have been working with them and got one branch of the tree
back to the 16th century."
Information from Helen Land
- Joseph married Mary Sarah who was buried in Miami Florida.
- Joseph died and was buried in 1962 in Miami Florida.
- Joseph's daughter, Margaret married, had lots of kids and lived in Florida.
- "Uncle Joe had polio as a child not a leg injury causing him to limp".
Information from Bud Land
Joseph joined the Army in WWI, drove an ambulance in Germany and was badly
wounded in the leg, which caused him to limb for the rest of his live.
- Joe, Jr. was captured in the battle of the Bulge, suffered in POW camps, and
died of malnutrition in Germany at a time when his parents owned a restaurant in
- Joe, Sr. had many businesses, real estate, wholesale candy, and once
was receiver of taxes in Smithtown.
- After WWII Joe and Mary ran a hotel in Lyme, New Hampshire near
- Both Elizabeth and Margaret married and bought farms in Vermont.
Information from Julia Land
- Joe served as a medic in WWI.
- Joseph, Jr. the only son of Joseph and Mary was killed in WWII.
David Weidenkeller remembers he starved to death in a POW camp.
- Ted Weidenkeller remembers he was killed at the Battle of the Bulge.
- Both remember that Mary was never the same. Her health failed from despair.
In later years the whole family moved to Florida.
Picture of the children of
Law and Elizabeth
Alden Tavern, Lyme, New Hampshire
After WWII, Joseph Land and his family moved to Lyme, N.H. where they owned a hotel called the Alden
39. Grant's Hotel, (14 Market Street), c. 1809, Contributing building.
The Alden Tavern is now a Bed and Breakfast called Alden County Inn
Known over the years as Grant's Hotel and Alden's Tavern, the Lyme Inn is a 3-1/2 story frame and clapboarded structure located between Dorchester Road and Market Street facing the Common to the west. Measuring five bays wide and four bays deep, the structure is set above a stone block foundation and capped by an asphalt gable roof punctuated by four tall interior corbel cap brick chimneys, A single-story flat roofed enclosed porch with continuous windows spans the facade. "Colonial Revival" in style, it is sheathed in wide clapboards with double glass doors surrounded by sidelights, transoms and capped by a rectangular keystone. Sheltered by the porch, the original entrance survives within, containing a seven-panel wooden door flanked by half sidelights with an outer surround of pilasters decorated by a meander motif. Centered on the central bay of the front facade is a central deeply pitched pediment supported by four large posts enclosing a steel fire escape. Underneath the porch on the second floor is an additional doorway flanked by transoms and pilasters displaying a meander motif like that seen on the front door. Windows on the building contain doublehung 6/6 sash with simple surrounds, blinds and exterior storm windows. At the corners of the building, double corner pilasters span between a plain wide water table and the two-part frieze which surrounds the building beneath projecting eaves. Extending behind tho building is a two-story ell set above a mortared rubble foundation. Small 6/6 windows are located on the second floor above 8/8 windows. A single-story addition spans much of the south side with a deck/loading dock extending from the east side.
Constructed by Salmon Washburn in 1809, who also drew the plans for the Congregational Church. Erastus Grant enlarged the hotel and operated it as Grants Hotel from about 1822 to 1870. The building was a center of community activity, the site of dances in the 19th century as well as the location of Grange meetings from 1875 to 1877 and again from 1886 to 1889. It was used as an apartment building rather than an inn for a number of years until 1918.(45) The porches were added in 1923.(46) The porte cochere, of pressure treated lumber, was added in 1987.
Lyme Common Historic District, National Register of Historic Places