The John Sheards
John Sheard, Morley, clothier
- Margaret of John Sheard, Morley clothier, May 27, 1750
- Mary, daughter of John "Sherd", clothier, baptized November 19, 1752, Morley
- Ann, daughter of John Sheard, clothier, April 9, 1755, Morley
- Lydia, wife of John Sheard, of Batley buried March 8, 1782
- John Sheard late of Morley was buried May 29, 1792.
John Sheard, maltster/labourer, born no later than 1757, son of John Sheard, wife, Sarah Firth, Batley
Marriage: Unknown, Sarah Firth, daughter of Joshua Firth
Children baptized in Batley Parish:
- William son of John Sheard, Batley maltster, son of John Sheard, by Sarah his wife daughter of
Joshua Firth, November 22, 1777 baptized January 6, 1778
- Grace daughter of John Sheard of Batley labourer son of John Sheard by
Sarah his wife, January 16, 1781 baptized April 16, 1781
Grace of John Sheard of Batley was buried May 3, 1804
Francis son of John Sheard, labourer, Batley, son of John Sheard by Sarah his wife daughter of Joshua Firth, May 21, 1784, baptized July 25, 1784
Sheards Having Children In The late 1770 Early 1800s Who The
Records Indicate Were The Children Of John Sheard
- George Sheard, born no later than 1775,
Clothier, son of John Sheard,
wives, Hannah Lister and Elizabeth Firth, Batley
Birth: No later that 1775 based on an age of 20 at his marriage to Hannah Listor in 1795.
Son of John based on baptismal records of his children
Was he the son of John Sheard listed above?
Marriage: George Sheard and Hannah Listor 12 October 1795, he signed she x'd, witnesses, Richard
Greenwood Jr and Isaac Newsome.
Death of Hannah Listor Sheard: ??
Marriage: George Sheard married Elizabeth Firth September 16, 1798 Batley Parish,
witnesses Mark Syra (?) and Jeremiah Pyrah, George signed. Elizabeth made her mark. His
signature is the same as the marriage to Hannah Listor above and
is distinctly different that
George who was the witness at the marriage of Benjamin Sheard in 1798.
Elizabeth was the daughter of Cornelius Firth.
Children baptized in Batley Parish:
- Sarah, daughter of George Sheard clothier son of John and
Elizabeth his wife daughter of Cornelius Firth, May 23, 1800 baptized July 6, 1800
Francis son of George Sheard, clothier, by Elizabeth his wife daughter of Cornelius Firth,
December 14, 1803, February 5, 1804
Francis, son of George Sheard of Batley, May 15, 1804
Mary daughter of George Sheard, clothier, son of John by Elizabeth his wife daughter of Cornelius Firth, September 14, 1805, October 13, 1805
Rachael daughter of George Sheard, son of John, no occupation, by Elizebeth his wife daughter of
Cornelius Firth, June 16, 1808, June 26, 1808
Marriage: Rachael Sheard married John Ineson, January 7, 1830. Both xed. Witnesses:
William Oldroyd, his mark, and Joseph Chadwick
Rachael Sheard Batley age 56, November 27, 1861
Benjamin of Rachael Sheard Batley single woman February 15, 1829
- Marriah daughter of George Sheard clothier, son of John, by Elizabeth his wife daughter of
Cornelius Firth, January 28, 1811, February 24, 1811
Death: ???? "Marie" Sheard of Batley May 7 1826 age 15 years.
Another George Sheard and Elizabeth Combination
Marriage: George Sheard married Elizabeth Cowling March 11, 1811. Both x'ed.
Witnesses, Jeremiah Chadwick and Tom Webster
Children born to George and Elizabeth (or Betty) Sheard after 1811
Unfortunately after 1813 the baptismal records do no give any indication of the mother's maiden name.
The following children were born to George Sheard and Elizabeth (or Betty).
Benjamin son of George Sheard and Elizabeth, Christened September 19, 1813
Death: Benjamin of George Sheard June 18, 1816, age 3, Batley
Enoch of George Sheard, Batley clothier, and Elizabeth, April 28, 1816
Death: Enoch Sheard, Batley infant April 30, 1816
- Betty of George Sheard and Betty, June 15, 1817, clothier,
Marriage: John Hirst full age widow engineer Clarkgreen, no father listed
married Elizabeth Sheard, full age spinster of Clarkgreen, daughter of
George Sheard, labourer, both x'ed, December 18, 1843. Witnesses:
William Oldroyde and Joshua Porritt.
- Benjamin of George and Betty Sheard, Batley clothier, August 27, 1820
Death: Benjamin Sheard infant, Batley April 22, 1821.
- William of George and Betty Sheard, Oatley clothier, May 26, 1822
Death: William Sheard age 17, buried May 7, 1838
- Nancy of George and Betty Sheard, Batley clothier, January 1, 1826
Death: Nancy Sheard age 8, Batley buried June 15, 1834
Death of George Sheard: George Sheard, age 74, Batley, buried March 13, 1835 (1761).
Who was he?? No George Sheard listed in either Batley or Birstall baptisms circa 1761.
Nothing obvious listed on the IGI.
Death of Elizabeth Sheard: Elizabeth Sheard of Clerkgreen Batley, age 61, July 8, 1842
Thomas Sheard, son of John Sheard, wife, Sara Arnsley, Batley
Marriage: Thomas Sheard to Sarah Ainsley April 27, 1785 (Batley Index)
No children of Thomas and Sarah in Batley between the marriage in 1785 and the birth of Hannah in 1794.
Children baptized in Batley Parish :
- Hannah of Thomas Sheard,
Gildersome husbandman, son of John Sheard by Sarah his wife daughter of Joseph Aimsley
born December 9, 1793
baptized January 12, 1794
Mary Sheard, daughter of John Sheard, and Richard Parkinson Batley
Marriage: Mary Sheard to Richard Parkinson, January 19, 1800, both x'ed, witnesses Jeremiah Chadwick and Joseph --- son
Death: Mary, wife of Richard Parkinson of Batley, buried May 13, 1812
- Isiah son of Richard Parkinson labourer by Mary his wife daughter of Shon Sheard,
born Febuary 2, baptized April 26, 1801
- Sarah daughter of Richard Parkinson clothier son of John by Mary his wife daughter of
John Sheard September 8, September 18th, 1803 Batley
- Susannah daughter of Richard Parkinson, clothier, son of John by Mary his wife daughter of John
Sheard, November 20, baptized December 22, 1806
- Grace daughter of Richard Parkinson of Batley buried April 9, 1806
- Martha daughter of Richard Parkinson, clothier, son of John by
Mary, his wife daughter of John Sheard, September 2, baptized
October 8, 1809 Batley
Death: She must have died as another Martha was baptized in 1811
- Maria daughter of Richard Parkinson clothier, son of John by Mary his wife daughter of John Sheard born August
5 baptized September 8, 1811, Batley
Titus Sheard, Batley clothier (son of James Sheard) and Hannah
Titus is a very unusual name.
Birth: Titus, son of James Sheard, March 13, 1761, Dewsbury (IGI) ???????
Marriage: Titus Sheard married Hannah Howgate July 27, 1785, Dewsbury (IGI)
Children Baptized in Batley Parish
Hannah daughter of Titus Sheard, son of James _____ by _______ daughter of John Howgate, August 17, 1787, baptized September 17, 1787
Elizabeth, daughter of Titus Sheard, clothier, Batley, son of James by and Hannah his wife, daughter of John Howlgate, January 4, 1788 , baptized January 18, 1789
Bethsheba of "John" Sheard, Batley clothier, son of James Sheard, by Hannah his wife, daughter of John Holgate, March 7, 1793, baptized April 1, 1793
Death: Bathsheba of Titus Sheard, of Batley, May 10, 1796
Titus of Titus Sheard of Batley clothier son of James Sheard, and Hannah, daughter of John Howgate, October 5, 1794, baptized December 26, 1794
Death: Titus of Titus Sheard of Batley March 27, 1796
George of Titus Sheard, son of "Samuel" Sheard by Hannah his wife, daughter of John Howgate, January 19, 1796, October 26, 1796
Titus Sheard and Mary Hepworth
Titus of Titus Sheard, clothier, Batley, son of James by
Hannah his wife, daughter of John Howgate, May 8, 1799, July 25, 1799
Marriage: Mary Hepworth probably in England
Immigration: Between 1840 and 1844 [Their child Emily died age age 2 and was buried in Canada, see monument
inscription below. I did not find them listed in the 1841 census inBatley.]
- M born England circa 1836 per 1861 census
- L born England circa 1840 per 1861 census
- Isabelle, born circa 1847, Ontario, per 1871 census
- Arthur, born circa 1850, Ontario, per 1871 census
- Hannah, born circa 1850, Ontario, per 1871 census
- See also monument inscription below
1861 Census: Waterloo Ontatio: Sheatd "T" age 54 born England, M age 54 born England,
M age 25 born England,
L age age 21 born England,
E age 16, born Canada, E age 14 born Canada
A age 13 born Canada
1871 Census: Sheard, Titus, age 71 born England Spiritualist, farmer, widowed,
Isabelle age 24, born Ont,
Arthur age 21 born Ont,
Hannah age 21 born Ont. Wilmot, South Waterloo, Ontario
1881 Census: Listed but very faded and hard to read.
Death: Titus Sheard February 5, 1882, male, age 82 years 8 months
and 26 days, farmer, born Batley Yorkshire, England, cause of death: bronchitis combined
with inflammation of the lungs --- about 6 days, Spiritualist, Waterloo, Wilmot Tp, Ontario,
Sheard Family Monument, Courtesy of Bernice McWhirter;
Block A, Concession 2, Lot 2, Wilmot Township, Waterloo County, Ontario
This is a plot on the north side of the first road north of New Dundee, near
its intersection with the first road to the east.
There is one spired stone of red-faced granite and five small footstones.
The inscription on the South-West side:
died Feb. 5, 1882
aged 82 y'rs 8 mos
& 26 days
wife of the above
died July 17, 1862
aged 55 yrs
Our parents dear lie underground
The dearest friends we ever found;
But through the Lord's unbounded love
We hope to meet in realms above
The inscription on the North-West side:
died Feb'y 21, 1890
aged 40 y'rs & 7 mo's
A faithful friend, a husband dear,
A tender parent lieth here
Great is the loss we here sustain
But hope in Heaven to meet again
The inscription of the Southeast side of the Monument:
Died Sept. 13, 1854
aged 25 y'rs 8 mo's
died Oct. 15, 1853
aged 15 y'rs. 8 mo's.
died Dec. 14, 1844
aged 2 y'rs. 2m's 13 d's
Titus and Mary Sheard
The five small footstones are inscribed:
Abraham of Titus Sheard, clothier, Batley, son of James by Hannah his wife, daughter of John Howgate, May 28, 1802, July 25, 1802
Charles Sheard and Elizabeth
Birth: Charles son of Titus Sheard son of James by Hannah his wife daughter of John Howgate,
November 20, 1805, February 2, 1806
Death of Charles Sheard: Charles Sheard, Batley, February 9, 1841,
age 52 years (Born circa 1789)
- Emma Sheard (c 1825) and Jeremiah Law
Birth: c 1826
Jeremiah Law, age 21, bachelor, Batley, clothier, son of
George Law, clothier, and
Emma Sheard, 18, spinster, Carlinghow, daughter of Charles Sheard, clother,
both signed, June 15, 1843.
Witnesses: John Mitchel and J W Jenkins
- No appropriate baptism in the Batley records.
- Jeremiah (born 1822) was the son of George Law and Martha Law and a grandson of
Benjamin Law. See Benjamin Law
1841 Census Carlinghow: Batley, Elizabeth Sheard, age 45,
Emma, age 15, woolen lab,
Charles, age 13, woolen lab,
John, age 10 woolen lab
Elizabeth, 1 month.
1851 Census: Ing Spring House, Carlinghow lane, Elizabeth sheard head widow age 55,
bobbin winder born Batley,
Charles son age 23, blancket weaver
John H son age 20, blancket spinner both born Batley.
1871 Census: Elizabeth Sheard head widow age 75, born Mirfield,
Martha Drukeep (?), lodger widow, age 27, woolen rag sorter, born Batley,
Ema Law daughter age 9, scholar, born Dewsbury.
Titus Sheard of Mirfield buried in Batley parish, September 19, 1837 age 76
- Hannah Sheard Batley, age 53, August 1, 1815
Benjamin Sheard, clothdresser, and Hannah, Morley
Marriage: Unknown. Hannah
- John of Benjamin Sheard, clothdresser, and Hannah, Woodchurch, clothdresser October 26, 1817
Marriage: John Sheard married Mary Fowler, November 6, 1836 Batley. He signed. She xed.
Witnesses: Benjamin Hall, Josseph Chadwick.
Death: John Sheard, Batley, September 18, 1894, age 78 (1816)
- Joseph of John and Mary Sheard Morley clothdresser, born February 26 baptized
May 14, 1837 Batley Parish
- William of Benjamin Sheard, clothdresser, and Hannah, Morley, January 30, 1820
Death: William Sheard of Batley, age 17, May 7, 1838.
- Benjamin of Benjamin Sheard, clothdresser, and Honnah, Morley, July 21, 1822
Marriage: Mary. Unknown.
- Tom of Benjamin and Mary Sheard, Morley tailor, May 11, 1848, March 30, 1850
John Sheard of Dewsbury and Sarah Brown
Marriage: John Sheard, Dewsbury, married Sarah Brown, May 29, 1803, Batley
Death: Joseph Sheard of Batley, age 70, buried July 2, 1818
- William son of John Sheard, by Sarah his wife daughter of William Brown,
clothier, Morley, September 11, 1806, baptized October 19, 1806
- Joseph son of John Sheard by Sarah his wife dauhter of Willima Brown , clothier, Morley,
September 21, 1809 baptized December 24, 1809
For more information on John Sheard and Sarah Brown go to
John Sheard and Sarah Brown
Samuel Sheard, son of Samuel, and Elizabeth (Betty) Oddy in Gidlersome Chapell
Birth: Samuel S Samule Sheard March 30, 1777 (Birstall Parish Index)
Marriage: Samuel Sheard of Birstall and Betty Oddy, May 15, 1800 (Index)
Children in Gildersome Chappell:
James, son of Samuel Sheard, clother dresser, son of Samuel, by Elizabeth his wife daughter of Geoge Oddy,
born October 2,
baptized October 16, 1800
- Mary daughter of Samuel Sheard, clother dresser, son of Samuel, by Elizabeth his wife
daughter of Geoge Oddy, October 26, December 12, 1803
Marriage: William Sheard married Jane Senior, July 2, 1833 (index)
Sarah of William and Jane Sheard Batley clothier born July 29, baptized September 20, 1835
Marriage: Mary Sheard married Joesph Keithley, March 21, 1811. Both signed.
- Ann daughter of Joseph Keighley warehouseman son of John by Mary his wife daughter of
Michael Sheard born October 11, 1811 Leeds.
It was not Mary, daughter of Michael Sheard who was married to Joseph Blakely. They also had a child in 1812.
- Elizabeth of Joseph and Mary Keighley of Leeds, warehouseman, May 16, 1813.
Joseph Sheard, Earlswaton clothier
Nancy of Joseph and Harriet Sheard Earlswaton clothier July 24, 1836
Marriages Batley Parish
- William Sheard to Sarah Ellis, October 9, 1765.
No children baptized in Batley parish.
- Margaret Sheard Batley Parish and Joseph Burns of Birstall Parish, September 7, 1777,
he signed, she x'ed, witnesses Michael Sheard (signed) and John Chadwick.
Note: No baptism listed for her in Batley Parish.
- Nancy Sheard and Joseph Newsome, October 16, 1780, he signed, she x'ed, witnesses Michael Sheard (signed) and Joseph Burn.
Could be Ann daughter of John, Morley clothier, baptized in 1755
- John Sheard and Mary Heaton He e'ed she signed, 16 April 1781,
witnesses John Chadwick and Thomas Parr.
- James Sheard and Mary Crowther, March 29, 1785.
No children baptized in Batley parish.
- Thomas Sheard and Sarah Ainsley, April 27, 1785, both x'ed, witnesses
Nathaniel Bar---long X and _ X Land.
No children in Batley parish
- Timothy Sheard to Ellen Dearden, December 26, 1791, he signed, she x'ed, witnesses _ and Benj Wilkenson .
No children in Batley Parish.
- Sarah Sheard to Joseph Stockdale March 30, 1794.
- Easther Sheard to Joseph Akeroyd, October 14, 1795
- Mary Sheard to George Surr, March 3, 1799
- John Sheard of Thornhill and Dorothy Hall October 24, 1799.
No children in Batley
- Samuel Sheard of the parish of Birstall and Betty Oddy of Batley parish 14 May 1800, both x'ed witnesses, Joseph Will-- and Samuel Watson
- John Sheard and Hannah Sharp, March 1808. He signed. She x'ed, witnesses Stephen Chappel and Jeremiah Chadwick.
Death of Hannah Sharp:
No children in Batley Parish.
Marriage: John Sheard and Hannah Scarth, December 2, 1810. He signed. She x'ed.
Witnesses Stephen Chappel and James Wilkinson. Signature the same as John Sheard to
Hannah Sharp, 1808
No children in Batley Parish.
- Hannah Sheard and Richard Rushforth December 29, 1816. He signed. She x'ed. Witnesses:
Joseph Sheard and Joseph Chadwick.
- John Sheard and Ann Thompson of
Rothwell October 6, 1823 in Batley.
He signed. She x'd. Witnesses Joseph X Snell
and John Wilkinson
They did not have children in Batley Parish
- Mary Sheard to Richard Marshall December 25, 1823 both signed. Witnesses: Abraham X Bierley and
Note: This Mary or the next one could be the daughter of William Sheard and Grace Lister
baptized in 1801.
- Mary Sheard to William Holdroyd, December 26, 1823, both x'ed. Witnesses: Joseph X Pyrah and
- Ann Sheard married Joseph Fell September 17, 1824. He signed. She x'ed. Witnesses:
Thomas Law and
- Thomas Law was the brother of Benjamin Law who married
- Thomas Parr was the father-in-law of Elizabeth Sheard Parr, Lydia's sister.
- Ann could be the daughter of George Sheard and Nancy baptized in Batley in September 1801
- Sarah Sheard married Thomas Marshall on October 18, 1827, both x'ed. Witnesses:
William Marshall and Joseph Chadwick.
- Betty Sheard to Benjamin Hall. He signed. She x'ed. April 7, 1828. Witnesses:
Benjamin Fox and Joseph Chadwick.
- Mary Sheard to John Blakeley, February 23, 1829. He signed She x'ed. Witnesses:
John Sheard his mark Birstall.
- William Sheard of Dewsbury and Jane Senior. He signed. She x'ed. July 2, 1833
- Sarah of William Sheard and Jane, Batley clothier, Sept 20, 1835
- James Sheard and Esther Brown. He signed. She x'ed. Witnesses: David Brown and
Jonathan Chadwick, September 17, 1835.
He was in the 1841 census
James age 30, wool spinner "J"
- Esther, age 25
- Joseph, age 4
- Hannah age 3
- Elizabeth age 1
Morley Chapel Hill.
Note: None of the
children were in the Parish Baptismal Index.
- Wooler Sheard and Hannah Cregg, September 25, 1836. He signed. She xed.
Witnesses: Joseph Chadwick and Thomas Robinson.
Woller Sheard was listed in the 1881 Census in Batley as follows:
- Wooler, head, age 74, retired blanket manufacturer, born Morley
- Hannah Sheard, wife, 74, born Heckmondwike
- John Sheard to Mary Fowler, November 6, 1836. He signed, She x'ed. Witnesses: Benjamin Hall and Joseph
Note: No children baptized in Batley Parish.
- Samuel Sheard, full age, bachelor, cloth dresser, Morley, son of
Benjamin Sheard, married Jane
Stanhope, full age, spinster, Churwell, daughter of John
Stanhope, clothier ____, January 21, 1838, both x'ed. Witnesses: William Blackburn and Joseph Chadwick.
Note : No appropriate baptism in the Batley records.
- John Sheard (1816-1874), butcher born Thornhill, and
Birth: Thornhill, per census; circa 1816, per tombstone; son of John, per marriage
Marriage: John Sheard, full age, butcher, Batley, son of John Sheard, farmer,
married Elizabeth Ward, full age, Batley, daughter of Samuel Ward, farmer, February 21, 1840,
Witnesses: Sarah Ward and Samuel Ward
John and Elizabeth Sheard in the 1851 Census: John age 46, Elizabeth, age 47,
John, age 12, William age 10 and Spedding age 7. See
Sheards in the English Censuses
- Elizabeth of John and "Elizabeth" Sheard, Batley, Butcher, March 27,
baptized May 8, 1843 (BatPR)
Death: Elizabeth Ann Sheard, Batley, November 27, 1849, age 6 years.
- Mary of John and Elizabeth Sheard, Batley butcher 10 March 1845, 6 Jan 1845
Death: Another Mary born 1852
- Samuel Ward Sheard of John and Elizabeth Sheard, Batley, butcher, born September 19,
baptized October 19, 1846 (BatPR)
Death: Samuel Ward Sheard , Batley, buried June 29, 1849, 2 years.
John Sheard (1848) and Sallie
Birth: John of John and Elizabeth Sheard, Batley, butcher, December 31, 1848,
March 25, 1849 (BatPR)
1851 census: Not listed in the 1851 Census with his parents
George c. 1881
Commercial Street Batley, head age 32, butcher, Sallie, wife, age 29, George, son age 3 months, and Jospeh Mitchell,
boarder, age 16, apprentice butcher
- William Sheard (1851-?) and Anne
William James, of John and Elizabeth Sheard "New Inn" (?), Batley, innkeeper, born
March 4, 1851, baptized March 31, 1851
1881 Census: See Sheards in the English Censuses
- Elizabeth Sheard circa 1875
- John Ward Sheard circa 1876
- Frank Sheard circa 1878
- Henry W. Sheard circa 1878
- Charles Sheard circa 1881
1891 Census: See Sheards in the English Censuses
- Mary of John and Elizabeth Sheard, Batley, butcher, January 6,
baptized March 16, 1852
- Spedding Sheard (1853-?) and Susan Healey
Spedding, of John and Elizabeth Sheard, Batley, butcher, May 31, baptized July 3, 1853
Marriage: Susan Helaey Dec 1879 (Free BMD Dec 1879, Dewsbury, 9b, 800
1881 Census: See Sheards in the English Censuses
Clifford, circa 1882
1891 Census: See Sheards in the English Censuses
1901 Census: Commercial Street, Batley: Spedding Sheard, head, age 48, butcher,
(slaughterer crossed out),
Susan Sheard, wife age 44
Clifford Sheard , son age 19, butcher assistant
Sarah H Healy, sister in law, age 33,
Charles S Healey, brother in law, age 50, late ___ and shoddy dealer, out of employment. All born Batley.
- Elizabeth Sheard from Tombstone:
In memory of Elizabeth beloved wife of John
Sheard, butcher, of Batley born March 2 1813
died September 15th 1874.
Also the above John Sheard born May 15th 1816 died Sept 15the 1874. Also Charlotte wife of the late Charles Ward of Carlinghow, died
October 1 1874 aged 77 years. Also George beloved son of
John and Sallie Sheard of Commercial Street and grandson of the
above John Sheard.
- John Walker Richardson, age 19, bachelor, clothier, Batley, son of
Benjamin Walker, gamekeeper, married Mary Sheard, age 30, spinster, Batley, no father
listed, both x'ed November 22, 1847. Witnesses Benjamin Hall and Joshua Povvitt .
Note : No appropriate baptism in the Batley records.
- George Sheard, age 54, widower, weaver, Batley, son of Joseph Sheard,
(dead), weaver, and Ann Walker, age 43,
widow, weaver, Batley, daughter of
Thomas Extey (dead), raiser(?), both x'ed. Witnesses: Lydia Glechell and John Henry ___, both x'ed, July 29, 1898
Children and infants with name associations:
- Lydia Sheard of Batley, March 17, 1769
- Lydia wife of John Sheard of Morley, March 8, 1782
- John Sheard late of Morley, May 29, 1792
- Hannah Sheard age 53 August 1, 1815
- James Sheard, 11 years and 6 months, buried May 6, 1838 (1826-27) (No baptismal record)
Only close record, Jacob Sheard baptized November 6, 1825 of David and Martha Sheard.
- William Sheard, Batley, May 7, 1838 age 17 (Born circa 1820)
- Charles Sheard age 52, February 9, 1841 (LDS film #0990862)
- Marie Sheard, Havercroft, January 17, 1850, age 35 (Born circa 1815)
- Hannah Sheard, New Street, May 20, 1855, age 44 (Born circa 1811)
- Elizabeth Sheard, Commercial Street, Batley, September 2, 1875, age 63 (1812).
Not the wife of John Sheard. She was still alive in 1891.
- Ann Sheard, Chapel Fold, Batley, December 29, 1890 (91?), age 78 (1812).
May be wife of John Sheard who married Ann Thompson, October 6, 1823.
Children and infants with place associations:
Mary Chappell Sheard, infant January 1834.
Note: Benjamin Sheard (1777), son of George and Hannah, married Elizabeth Chappell. Their first son, John (1813)
was married in 1833. No baptism for Mary
Chappell Sheard, but she could have been the daughter of John Sheard.
- John Talbot Sheard, infant, Batley, April 20, 1841.
Note: There is no corresponding baptism. He may have been the son of George Sheard and Martha Talbot
- Squire Sheard Batley, August 24, 1849, infant
Note: Squire was a very unusual given name
- James Sheard, Havercroft, November 24, 1849, age 7 years (born circa 1842)
- John Sheard, Havercroft, December 20, 1849, age 8 mo.
- Elizabeth Sheard, Carlinghow, December 21, 1849, infant
There are numerous deaths recorded for Sheard infants in the 1840s where the father is not listed and
I cannot find a corresponding baptism.
- Lydia daughter of Joseph Sheard, Batley and infant, April 11, 1770
- Grace Sheard daughter of John Sheard Batley, May 3, 1804
- Elizabeth Sheard Batley infant, February 3, 1813
- Joseph Sheard infant, buried March 6, 1821
Note: Joseph son of Michael Sheard, jun and Sarah Newsome was baptized December 25, 1821. However,
Dominic Lennon says that that Joseph married and had children.
- Thomas Sheard, infant, Batley, November 9, 1823
- Marie Sheard of Batley, 15 years, May 7, 1826.
Note: Could be either Mariah of George Sheard and Elizabeth born Jan 1811 or Mary of George Sheard
and Elizabeth born August 1811.
- Hannah Sheard Batley age 1 year, buried May 25, 1828
- James Sheard, Batley, November 9, 1849, age 2 years
Note: An appropriate birth would be for
James Gledhill Sheard the son of Benjamin and Margaret baptized May 30, 1847.
However, Vivien Thompson says that he married and had children
- Mary Sheard, Batley, November 22, 1849, age 4 years
Marie Sheard, Batley, January 7, 1840, 7 months
- Rachael Sheard, December 27, 1841, 3 weeks
- George Sheard, Batley, June 12, 1842, 2 years
- Michael Sheard, Batley, December 22, 1842, 3 weeks
- Susan Sheard, Batley, infant, June 12, 1844
- Elizabeth Ann Sheard, Batley, 1 year March 11, 1847
- William Sheard, Batley, June 2, 1847, 13 months
- Jane Sheard, Batley, June 8, 1847, infant
- Thomas Sheard, Batley, June 25, 1848, infant
Births and Deaths of Children born to Batley single-women
In addition there were two children born to known widows
- Sarah of Elizabeth Sheard, of Gildersome, March 19, 1778 (79?), baptized April 19, 1778 (79?)
- Richard of Hannah Sheard, Batley, July 30, 1807, baptized September 20, 1807
- Sarah of Hannah Sheard, Batley, April 14, 1810, baptized May 15, 1810
- Michael Sheard of Sarah Autey, Batley July 21, 1812, baptized August 23, 1812
Joseph of Hannah Sheard, singlewoman, Batley, November 3, 1817
Note: Vivien Tomlinson suggests that : Hannah was the daughter of George Sheard and
Ann Greenwood baptized in 1796.
- Titus of Mary Sheard, Batley, singlewoman, August 31, 1823.
Buried September 13, 1823, Batley
- Benjamin of Rachael Sheard, Batley singlewoman, February 15, 1829
- Abraham of Elizabeth Sheard Batley singlewoman June 7, 1829
Death: Abraham Sheard, age 9 months, Batley buried February 10, 1830
- William of Mary Sheard Batley singlewoman, September 21, 1834.
Buried Batley March 1, 1837 age 2 years
- James of Mary Sheard, Batley singlewoman, July 30, 1837
- Mercy, of Mary Sheard, Batley Bastard, July 21, baptized September 24, 1844
Death: Mercy Sheard, Batley, January 28, 1846, 2 years
David of Barbary Sheard (widow of John Sheard) Batley "singlewoman", March 10, 1833
David Sheard, Batley, age 21, buried March 23, 1854
- Sarah of Ann Sheard (widow of James Sheard) Batley, Innkeeper, born January 26,
baptized March 2, 1845. Sarah must have died. She was not listed in the 1851 census
Michael and George Sheard in the Providence Chaple Records, Batley
The following entries for Michael and George Sheard were listed on Latter Day Saint Film # 1657340 (items 45-47) which includes records for Providence Chapel Batley, Baptisms, 1840-1843, Subscriptions to chapel, 1839-1848 Pew rents, 1847-1855. and Accounts of Monies Received 1839-1843
Accounts of Monies Received
- Michael Sheard 5 pounds March 29, 1839 tickets
- George Sheard 2 pounds April 1839
- Michael Sheard 2 pounds September 1839
- Michael Sheard 2 pounds September 1843 "credit by cash in hand"
List of subscribers
- Mr. Michael Sheard 5 pounds March 1839
- Mr. George Sheard 2 pounds March 1839
- Mr. Michael Sheard 3 pounds May 1839
- Mr. Michael Sheard 2 pounds October 1839
- Mr. Michael Sheard 2 pounds September 1841
- Widow Sheard of Carlinghow, listed on page 30-31 February 1857, 2 pounds
Sheards in the Gildersome Baptist Church Records
The last three known children of Jonas Sheard and Dinah Kirk were baptized in the Baptist Chapel in Gildersome in Batley Parish between 1750 and 1756. The death of Dinah Kirk Sheard was also recorded in the Baptist Chapel in 1763.
There were other Sheards who were members of the congregation.
Harry Sheard born at Birstall April 21, ---- died April 30, 1752 buried May 2, 1752, at the ground at Lambs Hill (Gildersome Baptist Church LDS film #81666211)
John Sheard and Elizabeth of Mirfield
Birth of John:
Birth of Elizabeth:
Death of John Sheard, senior: John Sheard, Mirfield, widower, September 30, 1789,
October 3, 1789 No other information
John son of John and Elizabeth Sheard of Mirfield "went to our saviour of the small pox", 7
years, December 24, 1753 buried December 17, 1753
- John of John Sheard and Elizabeth his wife of Mirfield, Clothmaker, born
April 1 baptized April 10, 1754 at the Chapel in Mirfield
James Sheard of Mirfield
James Sheard, married brother, of Littletown, born July 24 1724 at Mirfield,
departed 14, December, 1802, buried 18 December 1802 at Gomersall (Baptism is not listed
by LDS, IGI)
Sarah Sheard of Mirfield
Sarah Sheard w. w. Mirfield Died September 4, 1766 buried September 7, 1766
Elizabeth Sheard single sister May 11, 1777, May 14, 1777, NOI.
Michael Sheard widower July 1 1783, July 8, 1783 NOI.
Mary Sheard, Gomersall
Mary Sheard, widow born January 30, 1737, died March 31, 1821 buried April 3, 1821 Gomersall.
Mary Sheard, Clifton
Mary Sheard born at Clifton 1743 (no indication of married, single or widowed) departed October 19, 1825 buried October 23, 1825 Mirfield
The records ended in 1837 there were no more Sheard deaths
Sheard Records in Other Parishes
Michael Sheard married Sarah Land in Wakefield All Saints on August 14, 1688 (BT).
Mary Haigh married Daniel Sheard in Thornhill by Dewsbury June 4, 1717 (BT)
Unconnected Sheards in the censuses
There are several Sheards in the Censuses in Batley that I have not connected to other
Sheards. See Sheards in the Censuses