Marriage of Michael Sheard and Abigail Healy
Michael Sheard married Abigail Healy on November 13, 1712 in Birstall parish (BT).
Marriage record of Michael Sheard and Abigail Healy.
Children of Michael Sheard and Abigail Healy
In addition to the "bastard", Michael, born in 1709, Michael Sheard and Abigail Healy had:
Jonas Sheard (1713-1789)
Jonas, "son of Michael Sheard of Gomersall", was baptized on May 27, 1713 (BT).
Note: Jonas was born six months after the marriage of Michael Sheard and
Marriage: Jonas Sheard married Dinah Kirk in 1739 (BT).
- George, 1740 (Birstall Parish Church)
- Michael, 1742 (Birstall Parish Church)
- Hannah, 1744 (Birstall Parish Church)
- Lydia, 1746 (Birstall Parish Church)
- Suzanna, 1748 (Birstall Parish Church)
- Mary 1750 (Gildersome Baptist Church)
- John 1754 (Gildersome Baptist Church)
- James 1756 (Gildersome Baptist)
See Jonas Sheard for more details
Mary Sheard (1715 -) and John Jackson
Mary "of Michael Sheard of Gomersall" was baptized on January 9, 1715 (BT).
Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724 transcribed by
Hartley Thwaite lists "Michael Sheard of GG (Great Gomersal)
Mary Sheard married John Jackson of Robertown on April 11, 1737 in Birstall parish.
- Elizabeth Sheard (1716-) and Benjamin Sheard, weaver/cloth maker
Birth: Elizabeth, "of Michael Sheard of Gomersall" was baptized on
September 9, 1716 (BT).
Marriage: Elizabeth Sheard
married Benjamin Sheard of Littletown, 24 Mar 1733/34,
Birstall Parish (Vivien Tomlinson, Jan. 2005).
Birth of Benjamin Sheard: Benjamin was the son of
Benjamin Sheard and the grandson of John Sheard of Thornhill. See
Elizabeth and Benajmin lived in Littletown (Little Gomersall) and in
Birstall Village in Birstall Parish and had the following children:
Gildersome Baptist Church:
Elizabeth and Benjamin were members of the Gildersome Baptist Congregation from at least 1754.
Other members of the congregation were Elizabeth's brother, Jonas, who was a member from at least 1750.
- Joseph of Benjamin Sheard of Littletown, 2 June 1734
Death: Joseph son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Sheard of Birstall "went happily to
our Saviour of consumption, age 20, years having been a child and a great boy under the
brethren care", April
13, 1754 buried April 26, 1754
- John of Benajmin Sheard of Birstall, 9 February 1736
Death: John son of Benjamin Sheard of Birstall buried 4 August 1747
- Elizabeth March 18, 1738 of Benjamin Sheard
- Sarah, January 6, 1740 of Benjamin Sheard
- Benjamin, of Benajmin Sheard of Birstall, January 10, 1742
Death: Benjamin son of Benjamin Sheard of Birstall buried
5 March 1744/45
- Lydia, January 27, 1743/4 of Benjamin Sheard of Birstall
- Hannah, September 6, 1747
Death: Hannah daughter of Benjamin Sheard of Birstall buried 12 December 1748
- Mary, June 28, 1749, Birstall
- William of Benjamin and "Dinah" Sheard of Birstall, cloth weaver, born April 13,
1754 baptized April 14, 1754 at the Brethren Chappel at Gomersall
(Gildersome Baptist Church Records LDS film #816621)
William son of Benjamin and "Dinah" Sheard of Birstall, cloth maker
"went to our Lord age 16 days" April 29, 1754 buried May 1, 1754.
John of Benjamin and Elizabeth Sheard of Birstall born May 26, 1756 baptized May 29, 1756 at
the Brethren Chappel at Gomersall (Gildersome Baptist Church Records LDS film #816621)
Death: John John Sheard child of Benjamin and Elizabeth Sheard of Birstall
died May 17, 1757 buried May 19, 1757
- Johanna of Benjamin and Elizabeth Sheard of Birstall born August 28, 1758
baptized August 30, 1758 at the Gomersall Chapel (Gildersome Baptist Church
Records LDS film #816621)
- John, September 3, 1758 (Parish Index) Need to check this out
Death of Benjamin Sheard: Benjamin Sheard married brother Birstall died September 7, 1774 buried September 10, 1774
Death of Elizabeth Sheard: Elizabeth Sheard widow September 17, 1783, September 20, 1783
Five Year Break
- George Sheard (1721-1761)
and Mary Midgley
George of Michael Sheard was baptized on December 27, 1721 (BT).
Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724 transcribed by
Hartley Thwaite lists "George s Michael Sheard of GG"
George Sheard of Birstall Parish married Mary Midgley on July 27, 1746 (BT).
According to the indexes, they had the following children:
- Samuel baptized on May 24, 1747, of Great Gomersall (BT).
- Michael baptized on January 6, 1748/49, of George Sheard of G Gomersall (BT)
Death: Michael son of George Sheard of GG buried 12 December 1753
- Abigail baptized on July 5, 1750, of George Sheard of Great Gomersall (BT)
- Sarah baptized on October 6, 1754, Great Gomersall (BT)
- Judith baptized on July 2, 1758 (BT)
Death of George Sheard: George Sheard of Great Gomersal buried 22 October 1761
- Benjamin s Michael Sheard of G, September 8, 1723 (Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724 transcribed by
Death: Benjamin s Michael Sheard of G buried September 9, 1723
(Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724 transcribed by
- Lydia Sheard (1725-) and William Whitely
Lydia of Michael Sheard was baptized on April 11, 1725 (BT).
Marriage: Marriage: Lydia Sheard married William Whiteley February 17, 1747
- Sarah of Michael Sheard, Gomersal, baptized on October 27, 1728.
- Susannah of Michael Sheard of Littletown baptized on December 12, 1731.
Other Connected Records From
The Gildersome Baptist Church
Lydia Sheard of Great Gomersall died July 26 buried July 28, 1763,
no other information. Was this the daughter of Jonas Dinah born in 1746,
or Elizabeth and Benjamin born in 1744?
- Departed April 6, 1792 buried April 10, 1792 single sister, Hannah Sheard,
born in the parish of Birstall August 13, 1755 her parents ____________ (Nothing is written)
No birth in Birstall parish records in 1755. Was this "Johanna" baptized in Gildersome Baptist in 1758?
Death of Michael Sheard
Michael Sheard of Great Gomersall buried May 2, 1741
Death of Abigail Healy Sheard
Abigail Sheard, widow, of Great Gomersal buried March 3, 1762.
The Jonas Sheard Connection
- Born in Birstall Parish, Father Unknown
Michael Sheard was in Eddercliff in Birstall parish at least by 1709.
There were Sheards in Birstall Parish from at least 1640. However, there is no record in
the baptism of Michael Sheard in the 1680's (or before).
There are probably records missing, as there are other Sheards who show up in the records
for whom there are no baptismal records. See
Other Sheards in Birstall Parish
The introduction to the Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724 transcribed by Hartly Thwaite says
that "there are no gaps in the registers" from 1687 to 1724. However, there are a fair number of
appear to be unrecorded. Of course there is the possibility that people moved into or out of the parish
and the records are somewhere else.
Michael Sheard named the first son of his marriage, Jonas. Jonas is not a common name in
the parish in general. However, it is a name that appears with some frequency in the Sheard family
in Birstall and Batley Parishes. It is possible that Michael Sheard was the son of
a Jonas Sheard.
After his marriage in 1712 the records show that he lived in Gomersal.
The earliest records for the Sheard name in Birstall Parish were for the marriage and children of
Michael Sheard and Isabell Parkinson. Isabell Parkinson was born in Littletown. The children of
Michael Sheard and Isabell Parkinson were born in the villages of Gomersal and
Birstall. Subsequent records show
Sheards in both Littletown and Gomersall. At least one son of Michael Sheard, another Michael, was known to have children in the parish around
the estimated time of the birth of
Michael in 1688. However, that Michael had a son, Michael in 1712, too late to be Michael who married
From the History of Batley Parish by Michael Sheard, 1894
"Thomas Sheard of Overden, in the parish of Halifax, "wolman" died in 1565
and his will was proved on the 7th of November in the same year. He left four sons, Michael,
Martin, Matthew, and Luke and one daughter, Sibel. Matthew was married on the 10th of August ,
1585 to Margaret Stanton at Batley; there is no further reference to him in the register. I
believe he settled at Mirfield, and was the first of the name residing there. Martin was the
first of the name to settle in Batley (and the author is a direct descendent). His wife, Jane
Wilbore, was the widow of William Wilbore of Healey, who died in 1582, and was interred in
Batley Church, leaving no issue."
See Birstall Sheards, Early Records
now or at the bottom of the page.
- Dominic Lennon's Theory
Dominic Lennon, a Sheard researcher and descendant of Michael Sheard,
believes that Michael Sheard was the son of John Sheard as follows:
Generation I: Thomas Sheard of Halifax
Generation II: Michael Sheard, son of Thomas Sheard, baptized In Mirfield
October 21, 1551married Jane File of Flockton in Thornhill Parish in 1615/16
Generation III: Anthony Sheard son of Michael Sheard baptized Mirfield Parish 1620
Generation IV: John Sheard, son of Anthony Sheard baptized Mirfield 1644
Generation V: Michael Sheard, son of John Sheard, baptized 1688
Briestwell, Thornhill Parish
John Sheard of Thornhill also had a son named Jonas, baptized March 25, 1683.
He was the only Jonas listed by the LDS IGI in the 1680's time frame.
Dominic also points out the "John Sheard of Littletown was
buried February 15, 1706/07 (Parish Register of Birstall 1687-1724
transcribed by Hartley Thwaite)" and that this could have been Michael's father.
- Vivien Tomlinson's Elaboration of the Briestwell Connection
Another Sheard researcher and descendant, Vivien Tomlinson, has done extensive research on the
Sheards in the area and has coordinated the records of Briestwell (Thornhill Parish) and Birstall.
See John Sheard for details.
The name Jonas, an uncommon name in general, it was popular in the
There were several in the early records for Thornhill and Birstall Parishes:
- Jonas of Matthew Sheard, May 21 1643, died January 11, 1646.
This is the earliest listing for the name
on the IGI
- Jonas Sheard son of John Sheard of Briestwell baptized 1683 (VT, Jan 2005)
- Jonas, son of Benjamin Sheard, born about 1700 in Thornhill. Was he really the son of Benjamin of Thornhill?
Is he the person who married
Alice Sheppard and had children in Littleton and
Little Gomersal 1720-1733?
- Jonas Sheard married Alice Sheppard in Hartshead, and had four children baptized in Birstall parish
between 1721 and 1733. See Early Sheard Records in Birstall Parish
- Jonas of Michael Sheard and Abigail Healey baptized in 1713 Birstall who married
Dinah Kirk and had children in Gomersall 1740-1756
Sheard the Descendent of Martin Sheard of Batley Parish?
The History of Batley Parish published in 1894 by Michael Sheard gives a brief history of
the family of Thomas Sheard.
According to Michael Sheard, Thomas Sheard was the progenitor of the Sheards who settled the Batley and Birstall
parishes, and an ancestor of the Michael Sheard (the author of the History of Batley Parish.)
Thomas Sheard of Halifax parish
and his wife, Margaret Holdesworthe, had four sons, Michael, Martin, Matthew, and Luke,
and one daughter, Sybil. See Thomas Sheard
now or at the bottom of the page
Martin Sheard married and settled in Batley parish.
There are very few entries for the Sheards in the Bishop's Transcripts for
Batley parish (LDS film # 0980660) from 1600 through 1729. There are lots of years
missing and the records are very sparse.
Martin Sheard was listed in the Batley parish records for the first time in 1581.
He was obviously living in the parish from the time of his marriage to Jane in 1583 to
his death fifty two years later in 1635. There is only one baptismal record for a child of
Martin Sheard listed in the parish records, that of Michael in 1585. It is possible that
baptisms of other
children occurred when the records are missing or that they occurred in Mirfield or Halifax.
Illegitimate Son of Matin Sheard and
Agnes Rodes: Martin Sheard and Agnes Rodes had an illegitimate son, William, baptized on July 24, 1581
in Batley Parish.
Marriage: Martin Sheard married Jane Wilbore, the widow of William Wilbore, on February 5, 1583
in Batley parish (Michael Sheard and the Parish Records).
According to Michael
According to A. Cadman, Jane Breare was a native of Gomersal, Birstall Parish.
- William Wilbore of Healey died in 1582 living no issue.
- Jane's maiden name was
- Michael, the son of Martin Sheard, was baptized in Batley parish on May
8, 1585 (Batley Parish Records).
Death: Burial: Michael Sheard buried May 8, 1586.
- Martin, d.o.b. (no later than 1596), place unknown.
Death of Martin Sheard: Martin Sheard buried April 27, 1662
- Martin of Martin Sheard, February 22, 1616 (BT)
- Michael of Martin Sheard, February 22, 1619 (BT)
This was most likely the Michael Sheard who married, Isabell Parkinson, and had children in Birstall parish.
See Birstall Sheards now or at the bottom of the page.
If the Michael Sheard who wrote the History of Batley is
correct in stating that Matin Sheard was the progenitor of the Sheards in Batley Parish
of the children of the Michael Sheard of Birstall and his wife, Isabell Parkinson, could have been the parent of
Michael born circa 1688. Michael Sheard born circa 1688 is know to be connected the main
branch of the Batley Sheards.
- Thomas of Martin Sheard, September 20, 1619 (BT)
- Grace of Martin Sheard, October 7, 1621 (BT)
- Jane of Martin Sheard, August 24, 1623 (BT)
- Alice of Martin Sheard, January 29, 1625 (BT)
- John of Martin Sheard, January 2, 1628 (BT)
- Richard of Martin Sheard, December 12, 1629 (BT)
Death of the wife of Martin Sheard Unknown
- John Sheard, Unknown, Based on a minimum age of twenty at the birth of
William, John was born no later than 1600.
- William, the son of John Sheard, baptized February 21, 1621 (BT).
- Marmaduke Sheard,
based on an age of twenty at the time of the marriage Marmaduke was born no later than 1597.
Marriage: Janet (?) on July on July 22, 1617.
Marmaduke was either the son of Martin and Jane Sheard or a relative who married in Batley parish. There are no children for Marmaduke in Batley parish.
Death of Jane Sheard: Jane, the wife of Martin Sheard, was buried on November 11, 1614.
Death of Martin Sheard: Martin Sheard was buried August 22, 1635.
Jonas Sheard in Littletown/Gomersall
Birth of Jonas Sheard:
Marriage of Jonas Sheard:
- John of Jonas Sheard of Littletown, November 26, 1721
- David son of Jonas Sheard of Littletown October 6, 1723 (PR)
7 years break
- Elliner of Jonas Sheard of Littletown,
19 March, 1730
- Sarah of Jonas Sheard of Gomersall, Sept 30, 1733
Death: Jonas Sheard of Little Gomersall March 1, 1740
Other Early Sheard Records in Batley & Birstall Parishs
William Sheard was buried on February 21, 1621. Was this the illegitimate
son of Martin and Agnes Rodes baptized in 1581 or was he the son of John baptized on
February 21, 1621?
- Grace Sheard married John Fawcett on October 15, 1656. Based on an age of
twenty at the time of her marriage Grace was born no later than 1636.
The only Grace in the records
the daughter of Martin baptized in 1621. Was Grace 35 at the
time of her marriage or is this a Sheard from another parish?
- Agnes, "of Michael Sheard" of Batley was buried in Mirfield on
February 2, 1665 (BT).
In January 2015 China King wrote that she had been looking through the Mirfield records
ffeberoware [February J ]
Agneas daughter of Michaell Sheard bur the II day.:
- The burial of Anne Sheard on November 9, 1670. I do not know
who Anne Sheard was.
- Marriage May 11, 1735, Bristall, Michael Sheard of Birstall to Alice Green