The Name, Lilley
George Redmonds, Yorkshire Surnames Series Part One, Bradford and District :
A complicated surname and Reaney has demonstrated that it has several possible
origins. In the West Riding it
appears to be from the French "del isle" (i.e. island) a
derivation which escaped both Reaney and Smith, and the Liley family was prominent in Mirfield
and Kirkheaton from the 12th century. They gave their name to Liley
Hall, on the boundry between the two parishes, and this was the family home into the
1490s. Even after this date the surname was found in Kirkheaton, but its seems likely that either
then or earlier migration into Birstall and Bradford had taken place. There is no proof yet of such a move
but certain circumstancial evidence supports the theory. c.f. Denby, Ledgard,
Note: The italics are mine
1175-85 Ralph de Insula (Kirkheaton)EYCh
1331 Juliana del Ylhe (Mirfield) YD
1415-33 William Lyle/Lylee/Lylegh
1493 William Lyley (Liley Place) Dodsworth
1539 John Lilee (Wyke, Thomas Lille (Wilsden MR
1586-92 Thomas Lilie/Lillie (Birstall) PR
Note: There were Lyley records in Birstall
parish before 1586-92. See below.
George Redmonds, Yorkshire Surnames Series Part Two, Huddersfield and District :
The family name "de Insula" or de Lisle" (i.e. of the island) occurred frequently in West
Riding records from the 12th century, notabley in townships such as Beeston, Harewood and Morley.
There are sporadic references also in Mirfield and Kirkheaton and it was on the boundry
between these two parishes that one family with the name lived in the 15th century. Their residence was first known as Liley Place (now
Liley Hall) and, although their connection with the hamlet ended in the 1490s, the surname survived
locally in Kirkheaton, and probably also in parishes not too far away such as Birstall and
Bradford. See YSSI.
First four references are the same as above.
1545 William Lile (Kirkheaton) SR
1664 Robert Lily/Robert Lilly (Kirkheaton) HT
George Redmonds, Surnames and Genealogy, A New Approach
"This family was originally "de Insula" or "de L'isle" and they held the land on th watershed which devides the parishes of Kirkheaton and Mirfield."
Local History Publications Old West Riding, a collection of Original Articles edited by George Redmonds,
Winter 1984 in the article Surnames and Settlement by George
Redmonds he includeds the following
listings for Liley
- 1175-85 Ralph de Insula of Kirkheaton (Early Yorkshire Charters)
- 1331 Juliana de Yle or Ylhe, Mirfield York. Arc. Journal, vol. 12 (YAJ)
- 1359-91 William de Insula or Lyle, Kirkheaton WB/D
- 1415-1433 William Lyle or Lylee WB/D
- 1493 William Lyley of Lyley Place
(YAJ) Vol VII
- 1589 Richard Thurgulande, Liley (WYR)
Mary Lilley born circa 1660 married Joshua Healey Birstall Parish 1680
There is no record in Birstall parish for the
baptism of Mary Lilley. In fact, there is no indication of her place of birth and she may have been born in
While there were Lilleys in Liversedge, Birstall Parish in the late 1500s
through the late 1600s the birth records for the name were very sparse in the 1660s around the time of Mary's birth.
There were other Lilleys who show up in Liversedge in the 1680 for whom there are no baptismal
records in the parish. Consequently, it is quite possible that she was born in the parish and for
some reason her baptism was unrecorded or lost.
Note: Two LDS submissions to the IGI indicate a Mary Lilley born about 1659 of
Liversedge Yorkshire who
Hayley on 10 Apr 1680 Birstall. No father is listed. The reference is to her husband Joshua Healey.
Both were submitted in the early 1970s at Logan Temple. There is no real indication
that this information is any more than speculation. However, there is a possibility that the family was Quaker. The Quaker records for the parish have not yet been checked and there was a Quaker
population in the parish at the time.
Marriage of Mary Lilley and Joshua Healy
Mary Lilley married Joshua Healy in Birstall parish May 10, 1680
Note: Mary Lyley married Robert Mann Dec 26 1677. Meaning that there are two births for
"Mary Leyly" unaccounted for.
Sparcity of Lilly Records in Birstall Parish Around the Birth of
The population of Leyles (all variations of spelling) was very small and there were only
15 records for the name in Birstall parish between 1626 and 1687.
There were only 6 baptisms between 1666 and 1686.
- Three for the children of Robert Leyly between 1666 and 1670
- One for a child of John 1686
- One for a child of
- One for a child of Unknown 1673
There were 5 marriages between 1638 and 1686. Prudence Leyly married in 1638. There were no further marriages until 1677.
There were only 4 deaths between 1651 and 1683. One of the deaths was for a child baptized in 1683. One of the deaths was for the wife of William Leyly married in 1682.
With the exception of the marriage of Prudence in 1638 there were no records for the name until 1651 with the death of William.
The only activity around the birth of Mary Leyly was the christenings of the children of Robert, which occurred between 1666 and 1670.
This scarcity of records could indicate that the family:
- Was not long or well
established in the parish.
- Had most likely came from somewhere else.
- Were members of a dissenting congregation.
Note: However, there are records in the parish as far back as 1560. See below.
See Joshua and Abigail Healey for the children of Mary Lilly Healy.
Lilley in the Birstall Parish Records 1560 to 1635
Mid to late 1500s, No Place Listed
James s William Lyllie, October 9, 1560 (PRB)
Marriage: John Lillie and Alice Turner May 20, 1565 (PRB)
- Josh son of John Lylly Feb 6, 1566/7
Jane bastard of John Lillie and Margaret Chester, October 28, 1571 (PRB)
- Alice bastard of John Lyllie, February 2, 1583/84 (PRB)
Death: Alice d of John Lylie February 7, 1586/7 (PRB)
Marriage: John Lyley and Margaret Brooke Feb 6 1574/75 (PRB)
Note: All of these listings for John Lilley might be for one person
Late 1500s to Early 1600s
Thomas Lilley (?-1622) and his son, William, (1582-1651), Liversedge
- Agnes (1586-) and Edmunde Wilbye
Agnes d Thomas Lillie October 2, 1586 (PRB)
Marriage: Agnes Lylye and Edmunde Wilbye December 11, 1611 (PRB)
Baptism of Edmund Wilby: Edmunde s James Wilbie Feb 2 1585/6
- John s Edmunde Wilbye of L Aug 24, 1612
Death: John son of Edmund Wilbie of L buried July 9, 1635
- Edmond of Edmond Wilbey June 25, 1615
- Richard of Edmond Wilbie of L November 22, 1628
- George of Edmund Wilbie of L, October 14, 1621
Death: George s of Edmund Wilbie of L april 25, 1623
- William of Edmund Wilbie of L, May 30, 1624
- Alice of Edmund Wilbie of L Dec 2, 1627
- Agnes of Edmund Wilbie of L May 23, 1631
- William Lele (1582) and Ann Bawmeforth
William (d deleted) s Thomas Lylie, March 18, 1581/2 (PRB)
Marriage: William Lile and An Bawmeforth, June 30, 1607
Birth of Ann Bawmeforth: No appropriate baptism listed in Birstall Parish
Death of An Lilley: Wf of William Lilee of L buried Sept 5 1616
Alice Lyllie (1608) and Thomas Hepworth
Alice d William Lyllie of L, May 1, 1608 (PRB)
Marriage: Alice Liley and Thomas Hepworth, November 19, 1634 (PRB)
Birth of Thomas Hepworth: No appropriate baptism in Birstall Parish
Further records: No appropriate baptism of children of Thomas Hepworth in
- Prudence (1610) and Richard Scolefield
Prudence d William Lyllie of L, September 23, 1610 (PRB)
Marriage: Prudence Lylee and Richard Scolefeild Apr 26 1638
Birth of Richard Scholfield: Richard s of Robert Scholfield of B Sept 9, 1610
Further Records: Confusing as there were two Richard Scholdfields married in
the parish near the same time.
Death of Prudence Scholfield: Prudence wf of Richard Scholfield of Mooreside April 11, 1663
- William s William Lyllie of L, January 30, 1613/14 (PRB)
Death: William son of William Lilye of L buried Feb 6, 1613/14
Marriage: William Liley and Agnes Scootle, July 23, 1620 (PRB)
Death of William Lilly:
William Lylie of L buried May 21, 1651
- Alice d Thomas Lyllie, August 30, 1584 (PRB)
Death: Alice d of Thomas Lylye of L, November 29, 1599 (PRB)
- Isabell d Thomas Lillie of L, February 23, 1588/9 (PRB)
- Mary Lilley (1592) and William Horsforth
Mary d Thomas Lilie of L, December 17, 1592 (PRB)
Marriage: Mary Liley and William Horsforth, October 20, 1617
Death of William Horsforth: William "Horsfeild" of L Nov 1, 1669
- George of William Horsforth of L, Jan 25, 1617/18
Death: George "Horsfull" a childe of L, April 3, 1623
- Richard s Thomas Lilie of L Magna, November 17, 1594 (PRB)
Death: Richard Lilie of L, March 18, 1603/4
Hester Lilly ( 1600) and John Bothroid
Hester d Thomas Lily of L, June 24, 1600 (PRB)
Marriage: Ester Liley to John Bothroid June 10, 1623
Birth of John Bothroid: No appropriate baptism in Birstall Parish
Ann of John Botthroid of L, April 16, 1626
- William of John Bothroide of L, September 14, 1628
Death: William s John Buttroyde of L July 30, 1634
- Alice of John Boothroide of L, November 21, 1630
Thomas Lilley, Liversedge
- Thomas Liley of L December 28, 1622 Note:
Admon. 13 Aug. 1623 (Lyllie)
Thomas Lyley and Agnes Holdsworth October 6, 1607 (PRB)
Birth of Agnes Holdsworth: No appropriate record in Birstall Parish.
- Buried unbaptized infant of Thomas Lilie of L, Nov. 30, 1608
- Thomas of Thomas Lilye of L June 3, 1610
- Agnes wf of Thomas Liley of L, April 11, 1623 (PRB)
Note: Robert Lyley of Blacobb is the only Lyley listed in the Parish Records as
having children around the time of the birth of Mary Lilley who was born circa
1660 (based on an age of 20 at the time of her marriage in 1680).
Robert Lyley, Blacobb
In October 2016 Karen from Australia wrote:
- Lydia d of Robert Lyley of Blacobb, Feb 10, 1666/7
- Sarah of Robert Liley of Blacobb Apr 23, 1671
I made enquiries at Huddersfield Local History group and they replied:
I am afraid I do not have a definate answer for you. I have looked at the parish registers for Birstall
and found 4 (?) baptisms referring to Blacobb;
There are several baptisms for other families with the following spellings Blacupp, Blakeope, Blakeup, Blacup and Blackup.
Lydia daughter of Robert Lyley of Blacobb 10/2/1666
- Sarah daughter of Robert Liley of Blacobb 23/4/1671
The first ordnance survey map for the Liversedge Cleckheaton Hightown area is dated 1854 6"" to the mile scale.
On this map there is an area called Blakcup, this area is situated between Cleckheaton and Hightown.
I can only suggest that Blacobb may be a corruption of Blakcup as spellings were not
standardised at that time."
Mid to Late 1600s
The Lilleys in this section were contemporaries of Mary Lilley (c 1660) and like
Mary their baptism were not
recorded in the Birstall Parish Records.
Robert Lyley, Liversedge
Birth: Born no later than 1650.
Note: Robert is a fairly unusual name in the parish. See Robert Lyley of Blacobb above.
Death: Roberte Lyley of L September 6, 1676
- Martha d of Robert Lyley of L October 23, 1670
John Lyley (c 1666), Long Liversedge
Birth: Born no later than 1666
Marriage: John Lylie and Elizabeth Ruskey October 6, 1686
Birth of Elizabeth Ruskey: None in Birstall Parish
Death of John Lyley: John Lyley of Hightown in L buried Feb 25, 1723/4
Robert of John Lyly of Long Liversedge Feb 27, 1686/7
Death: Robert s John Lyly of Long L July 25, 1688
- Jane of John Lyly of Long L July 28, 1689
Death: James of John Lyly of Long L buried Feb 5, 1695/96
- James of John Lyly of Long L, December 25, 1692
Death: James son of John Lyly of Long L buried Mar 23, 1693/94
- Lidiah d of John Lyly of Long L May 26, 1695
Death: Lydia Lyley of Hightown buried 10 January 1741/42
- John s of John Lyley of Long L July 17, 1698
- Joseph of John Lyley of Long L Feb 11, 1704/05
Death of Elizabeth Lyley: Elizabeth Lyley Hightown widow buried 19 April 1738
Note: John Lyley named a son Robert.
James Lyley (c 1676), Liversedge/Long Liversedge
Birth: Born no later than 1676
- A Crisome child of James Lyly of Long L buried June 28 1696
- Robert of James Lyley of L October 3, 1697
Robert Lyley of C and Mary Walker married Apr 14, 1723
Children of Robert Lyley:
- Susanna of Robert Lyley of Spen baptized Nov 17, 1723 (BT)
- James of Robert Lyley 22 January 1726 (index)
- Mary of Robert Lyley 18 Feb 1730 (index)
In October 2016 Karen from Australia wrote
"Robert joined the Moravian Church. I have obtained his Memoir from the German Moravian Archives in which it states:
"He was born in the month of October 1697 at High Town in the Parish of Bristol, and was educated in the established Church.
His parents being poor, he was put out apprentice very young, and suffered, during that time, a deal of hardship.
Having learned the clothiers business and being now 26 years (1723) of age, he entered into the married state with the present Widow,
which Marriage our dear Lord blessed with one son and 2 daughters. One of the latter went happily to our Savior before him, out of the
Sisters house here. His only Son James is an Inhabitant of Fulneck longn, and the other daughter is married in the World."
- Susannah Lilly (1699) and Robert Wright
Susannah d James Lyley of Long L March 3, 1699/1700
Marriage: Susannah Lyley married Robert Wright October 6, 1723
Birth of Robert Wright: No appropriate record in Birstall Parish.
Children: No listings in birstall Parish
- Jane of James Lyley of Long L Jan 24, 1702/03
Marriage: Jane Lyley to John Ingham 20 March 1726 Birstall Parish
- Martha of James Lyley of L July 28, 1706
- Mary d of James Lyley of Long L November 20, 1709
- Sarah d of James Lyley of Long L Aug 17, 1712
Death: Sarah d James Lyley of Long L buried June 20, 1713
Note: James named a son Robert.
Death: James Lyley senior of Hightown buried 9 October 1737
William Lilley (c. 1662) Long Liversedge (Hightown), Beatrice Hast & Mary Huitt (Hewitt)
Birth: Born no lated than 1662
Marriage: William Lylie and Beatrice Hast May 10, 1682
Birth of Beatrice Hast: According to the LDS IGI, Beatrice Haist, the daughter of John Haist
was baptized 14 Nov 1657 Calverley, Yorkshire. There were no other Hast in the
Birstall Parish records.
Death of Beatrice: Betteris wf of William Lyly of Long L June 27, 1683
Abigail d William Lylie of Long L May 20, 1683
Death: Abigail d William
Lyly of Long L February 20, 1684
- William of William Lyly of Long L, Aug 14, 1687
- Benjamin s of William Lyly of Long L Aug 11, 1689
Bastard Child of Benjamin Lyley:
Death of Benjamin Lyley: Benjamin Lyle of Hightown buried 9 April 1758
- Judith bastard of Mary Brooke of Long L and Benjamin Lyley of Long
L the reputed father, February 17, 1711/12
Death: Judith of Mary Brooke of Long L (and of Benjamin Lyley May 26, 1713)
- Jane of William Lyley of Long L November 1, 1702
Death: Jane d of William Lyley of L July 27, 1718
Marriage: William Lylie and Mary Huitt Aug 21, 1686
Birth of Mary Huitt (Hewitt): None in Birstall Parish
Death of Mary Lyley: Mary the wife of William Lyley of Long L buried November 3, 1700
Bastard Children of William Lilly of Long Liversedge
Joshua bastard s Isabell Hewitt of Long L William Lyley of Long L the reputed father, May 6, 1705
- Abraham twin of
- Sarah bastard children of Isabell Hewitt of
Long L, William Lyley of Long L the reputed father, Feb 29, 1707/08
- Susannah bastard d Isabell Hewitt of L William Lyley the reputed father,
May 1, 1715
Birth of Isabell Hewett: None listed in Birstall Parish
Question: Was Isabell Hewett related to William's second wife, Mary Huitt (Hewitt)?
Odd Baptism: Thomas of William Lyley of L baptized March 29, 1717
Death of William Lilly: William Lyley senior of Hightown buried 8 April 1735
Other Lily deaths in Hightown:
Note: There were deaths for Lyley children in Hightown in the early to mid 1700s.
- Elizabeth Lyley Hightown widow 19 April 1738
- Agnes Lyley Hightown widow 01 Feb 1740/41
- Lydia Lyley of Hightown 10 Jan 1741/42
- Elizabeth Lyley of Hightown widow 8 October 1747
[blank] of Lyley of LT July 1, 1674
Marriage: Joshua Lyley 15 May 1726 to ????
- JANE LYLEY 30 AUG 1730 Birstall, Yorkshire, England
- WILLIAM LYLEY 28 MAY 1732 Birstall, Yorkshire, England
- JAMES LYLEY 24 MAR 1733 Birstall, Yorkshire, England
- ANN LYLEY 01 JUL 1739 Birstall, Yorkshire, England
- Johan Lyllie and Richard Barber July 27, 1570
Note: The marriage was also recorded in Mirfield Parish
- Mary Lyllie and Lawrence Biran, Jan 26, 1584/5
Note: Only record for Biran in the parish at the time
- Alice Lilie and William Fletcher, June 20, 1609
Alice the daughter of Thomas Lyley baptized in 1584 died in 1599
- As sparse as the record for Lyley are in the parish Alice comes up fairly often. In addition
to Alice the daughter of
Thomas the name occurs as follows:
- Alice Turner married John Lilly in 1565
- John Lyley had a bastard named Alice in 1583 (died in 1586)
- William Lyle named a daughter Alice in 1608
- Agnes Lillie and Edmund Wilbey named a daughter Alice in 1627
- Alice Lily, widow of Liversedge died in 1633
- Isabell Liley to John Roods (Rhodes) , July 4, 1613
Birth of John Rhodes: No appropriate baptism for John in the parish records. There were, however, a fair number
in the parish
Note: No apparent children baptized in the parish.
- Hannah Lyly and Anthonie Heavysid July 21, 1692
Note: No other records for the name in the parish.
Alice Lily wd of L, June 2, 1633 (PRB)
Jane Lyly of Long L June 20, 1700
Jane Woodall who has a page on Rootsweb.com says that Long Liversedge and Hightown are one and the same.
She also noted that there was a Quaker settlement in Hightown.