John Sykes, Birth|
John Sykes was born circa 1797/98 in the village of Adwalton in Birstall Parish
(Information from the
I did not find a baptismal record for John Sykes.
His parents are not known for certain, but it is highly likely that his mother was
John Sykes, Occupation
John Sykes was listed on several records as either a shoemaker or a cordwainer.
At least three of his sons, Benjamin, George Stell, and Joseph were cordwainers.
At least one of his grandsons, William, the son of Benjamin, was a boat maker.
Marriage of John Sykes and Ann Stell
"John Sykes of this parish and Ann Stell of this parish were
married in this Church by Banns with Consent of _______ this twenty seventh Day of
April in the Year One Thousand eight Hundred and Seventeen by me
Matthew Sedgwick, curate. This Marriage was solemnized between us
John Sykes, Ann Stell, "her mark". In the presence of James Fox and John Chadwick."
Batley Parish marriage certificate No. 214, 1817
(LDS microfilm 0990861)
- John Chadwick was most likely a clerk in the parish.
He witnessed tons of marriage certificates. I don't know anything about James Fox.
- The above record was taken from the Bishop's transcript and the "signature" of John
Sykes is in the handwriting of the clerk who transcribed the records.
- Ann Stell was born in Gomersal in Birstall parish.
- John Sykes, according to the 1851 census, was born in Adwalton in Birstall Parish.
- Their children were baptized in Birstall parish.
- Batley and Birstall parishes abut one another and the records show a fair amount of
movement between one parish and the other. However, since all of the other records connected
with the Sykes and Stells were found in Birstall parish I am not sure why the marriage occurred
in Batley parish.
Marriage record of John Sykes and Ann Stell.
Children of John Sykes and Ann Stell
Baptism: Benjamin, "son of John and Ann Sykes of Little Gomersall, shoemaker",
baptized on May 24, 1818 (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Marriage: Benjamin Sykes,
age 27, bachelor, cordwainer, of Pudsey, son of John Sykes, cordwainer, and Mary Halliday, age 29, spinster, of Pudsey,
daughter of John Halliday, farmer, were married on October 19, 1846 in the parish church of Calverley, Yorkshire.
Witnesses were Joseph Halliday and Rebecca Clayton. While the signatures on the record are not theirs
it indicates that Benjamin and Mary signed their names. (December 1846, vol. 23, page 256 Bradford)
Birth of Mary Holliday: Mary Halliday baptized April 5, 1816, daughter of
John Halliday and Betty Balmforth
Residence: Benjamin and Mary Sykes lived in Adwalton (a village in the
township of Dringhlington) and in Nethertown (a village in the
township of Dringhlington)
Death of Benjamin Sykes: July 15, 1866 (Deaths, Sykes Benjamin, age 48,
Sept 1866 Bradford Y vol. 9b page 9)
- John born September 13, 1847, baptized November 14, 1847,
of Benjamin and Mary Sykes, Adwalton,
cordwainer (twin, see next entry) (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Death: John must have died as John George
was baptized in 1857 and John was not listed with the family in the 1851 census.
- Joseph (twin, see above entry) (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Death: Joseph must have died he does show up in the 1851 census with the
- James baptized March 18, 1850, Adwalton (Chruch of England,
Note: He was listed as "James Holliday Sykes" in the 1851 census.
- James was listed with them in the 1851 census
- James was not listed in the 1881 census.
- Elizabeth baptized on August 2, 1854, Drighlington (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
- John George baptized on May 10, 1857 in
Drighlington (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Death: John George was buried on June 19, 1857.
- William born on February 9, 1857 in Nethertown and baptized
on March 28, 1859 (two years later) (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Marriage: Hannah, date and place unknown
1881 Census, Church Street, Gomersal:
- Mary, circa 1874, Carlinghow
William was born in 1857, the age is off by 5 years
- William Sykes, head, married, age 29, born Drighlington, boot maker
- Hannah Sykes, wife, age 28, born Birstall
- Mary E Sykes, daughter, age 7, born Carlinghow
- Anne, date of birth unknown
Death: August 2, 1866, according to tombstone inscription.
Note: There is no record of the death of Ann Halliday or Anne Sykes in the Sept 1866 death index.
Death of Mary Halliday Sykes: July 27, 1866 (Deaths,
Sykes, Mary, age 50, Sept 1866 Bradford Y vol 9b, page 10)
Death of Anne Halliday Sykes :
August 2, 1866
Erected in affectionate
Remembrance of Benjamin Sykes
Late of Nethertown in the township
Of Drighlington who died July 15, 1866
Also of Mary, his wife, who died July
27, 1866, age 50
Also Anna Holliday, daughter of the above
Who died August 2,1866
- Samuel Sykes
Baptism: Samuel, son of John and Ann Sykes of Adwalton, shoemaker, was
baptized March 4, 1821 (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish)
Immigration: Samuel Sykes left England sometime
Note: He was not listed in the 1841 census in England with his parents.
- He was in the United States from at least 1856 to 1860
- Sometime before 1871 he immigrated to Newmarket, Ontario, Canada where he was
listed in the
1871 Canadian census.
Marriage: Hannah (Ann), date and place unknown.
1871 Census New Market, Ontario, Canada:
- Isabelle, born circa 1856, USA (Information from the 1881 Canadian Census)
- Josephine, born circa 1858, USA, (Information from the 1881 Canadian Census)
- Adelaide, born circa 1860, USA, (Information from the 1881 Canadian Census)
- Sarah, date of birth unknown, family information
- Ellen, date of brith unknown, family information
1881 Census, Canada:
Samuel Sykes and his family were listed in Newmarket, York North, Ontario, Canada as
- Samuel Sykes, married, age 50, born England, machinest
- Ann Sykes , married, age 45, born US, Irish
- Isabel Sykes, age 21, born US
- Josaphine Sykes, age 19, born US
- Adeline Sykes, age 17, born US
- Mary Ellen (or Elden), single, age 47, born Ireland
- Charles Johnson, age 17, born Ontario, apprentice
- Samuel, age 60, born in England
- Hannah, age 52, born Jamaica, West Indies
- Isabelle, age 25, born in USA
- Josephine, age 23 born in USA
- Adelaide, age 21, born in USA
- Mary Gill, age 52, born in Jamaica, West Indies
See Sykes in Canada
- Newmarket is several miles north of Toronto.
- Isabelle Sykes
Baptism: Isabelle, daughter of John and Ann Sykes of "Barnsley", cordwainer,
was baptized on May 25, 1823 (Chruch of England, Birstall Parish) . I do not know where Barnsley was located. It is not on a current
map of the area. However,
it was listed under "The Chapelry of Drighlington in the parish of Birstall".
Further Records: Isabelle was listed in the 1841 census but not listed in the 1851 census,
by which time she would have been 28 years old and, if still alive, most likely married.
- George Stell Sykes
Baptism: George Stell Sykes, the son of John and Ann Sykes, Adwalton, cordwainer,
was baptized on March 12, 1826 in the Chapelry of Drighlington, parish of Birstall.
Further Records: See George Stell Sykes
Baptism: James, the son of John and Ann Sykes, Adwalton, cordwainer,
was baptized on February 15, 1829, Chapelry of Drighlington, parish of Birstall.
Further Records: Joseph does not show up in the 1881 census in England.
It is possible that James Sykes immigrated to Canada.
See Sykes in Canada
Baptism: Mary, the daughter of John and Ann Sykes, Adwalton, shoemaker, was baptized
on May 13, 1832, parish of Birstall. Mary was listed with her father in the 1851 census.
Mary Sykes of Adwalton, daughter of John and Ann Sykes, was buried on June 30, 1852,
age 18, film #1849288.
Baptism: Joseph Sykes, the son of John and Ann Sykes, shoemaker of "Dringlington", was
baptized on July 19, 1835 (LDS film #0990529)
Further Records: Joseph is listed in the 1841 census with his parents and
in the 1851 census with his brother Benjamin.
Marriage: Elizabeth, date and place unknown,
(Information from the 1881 English census)
1881 English Census :
Joseph Sykes, was listed on Church Street in Gomersal as follows:
John, born circa 1873, (Information from the 1881 English census)
- Joseph, head, age 45, cordwainer, born in Drighlington, York
- Elizabeth, wife, age 48, born in Birstall, York
- John, son, age 18, cloth finisher, born in Birstall, York
- Sarah Ann
Further Records: Sarah Anne is listed with her father in the 1851 census.
I don't know what happened to her after that.
Sarah Ann, the daughter of John and Ann Sykes, shoemaker of "Dringlington",
was baptized on September 22, 1838 (LDS film #0990529)
- Civil Birth Record: Sarah Ann, daughter of John Sykes, cordwainer, and
Ann Sykes, formerly Stell, was born on September 22, 1838, Drighlington, reported by John Sykes, father, Dringlington.
John Sykes and Ann Stell Sykes, Where
Atwalton (Birstall Parish) circa 1797 (Brith of John Sykes)
Gomersal (Birstall Parish) in 1796 (Birth of Ann Stell Sykes)
Batley Parish in 1817 (Marriage)
Gomersall (Birstall Parish) in 1818 (Birth of a child)
John Sykes was not listed in the Land Tax records for Gomersall in 1818 or
before, LDS microfilm 1657962.
Adwalton Chapelry of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1821
(Birth of a child)
Barnsley Chapelry of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1823
(Birth of a child)
Adwalton Chapelry of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1826
(Birth of a child)
Adwalton Chapelry of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1829
(Birth of a child)
Adwalton Chapelry of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1832
(Birth of a child)
Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1835
(Birth of a child)
Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1838
(Birth of a child)
Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1841
Adwalton Township of Drighlington (Bristall Parish) in 1851
The Death of Ann Stell Sykes
Church Record: Ann Sykes, Adwalton, buried October 27, 1841, age 45
Civil Record: Ann Sykes, Adwalton, age 45, wife of a cordwainer, died on October 24, 1841 of an
"affliction of the lungs". Death
reported by John Sykes, "present at the death".
Remarriage of John Sykes
John Sykes remarried sometime before 1851.
In the 1851 census in Adwalton, he was listed with his wife, Ellen.
The Sykes in The English Censuses
John Sykes in the Leeds Directories
Unfortunately, John Sykes was not listed in the Directory of Leeds for
the villages of Adwalton or Drighlington in 1830, 1842 or 1847.
Death of John Sykes
I have not found the death record of John Sykes.
The last census I found him in was 1851.
He was not listed in Adwalton in the 1861 census.
Where and When Was
John Sykes Born and Who Were His Parents?
I have not found the birth record of John Sykes.
From a combination of records it appears that John Sykes was born in Adwalton
circa 1797/98 to Hannah and _____ Sykes.
This is based on the following:
What else is known about John Sykes?
- According to information in the 1851 census in Adwalton, John Sykes
was born in
Adwalton circa 1797-98. It should be pointed out, however, that census information
always a reliable source for place and date of birth. Conflicting information
about place of birth is common on the census records.
Adwalton was "a hamlet" in the chapelry of Dringhlington, parish of
Birstall, wapentake of Morley, West Riding of the County of York.
- The 1841 census in Adwalton lists, Hannah Sykes, an 84 year-old pauper,
living with John Sykes and his family. It is highly likely that Hannah was John's
- John Sykes and his sons, Benjamin, George, and Joseph, were cordwainers (or shoemakers)
by profession. Occupations often ran in families.
- John Sykes was married in Batley parish in 1817. In prior and subsequent
records both Ann Stell and John Sykes were connected to Birstall parish.
John Sykes and Ann Stell, Where They Lived
- Marriage in a parish that is not the same as where the other records are found is a fairly common phenomena that I do not understand. On numerous occasions I have
marriage in one parish and all other records connected with both parties in another parish.
Hannah _____ Sykes, Born Circa 1758
Birth: Circa 1758
- John Sykes circa 1797
Hannah Sykes, was listed with John Sykes and his family in the 1841 census. See
Sykes in the English Censuses
- Church Record: Hannah Sykes died in
Adwalton and was buried January 6, 1842, age 84 years
- Civil Record:
Hannah Sykes, age 84, widow, died on January 4, 1842 in Adwalton of old age. The death was
reported by John Sykes "occupier", Adwalton on January 6, 1842
If she was the mother of John Sykes she would have been 39 years old (give or take)
at the time of his birth
Where was she born and who were her parents?
Which Syke did did she marry?
The Birstall parish records list the marriage of Benjamin Sykes and Hannah
Longbottom, both of Drighlington, by Banns on January 11, 1796.
Were these the parents of John Sykes?
- His mother was most likely named Hannah
- The records connect him to the hamlet of Adwalton in Drighlington township
- He named his first son Benjamin
- The census information indicates that he was born after the date of the above marriage
The Sykes in Adwalton
Since the census information indicated that John Sykes was born in Adwalton in
Birstall parish and later records show that he lived in Adwalton, I make an
investigation of the Sykes in Birstall parish with a special emphasis on the Sykes in
Adwalton. The parish records show that the other Sykes in Adwalton were
maltsters and were related to each other. The do know appear to be closely related to
There were no other Sykes who were cordwainers or shoemakers in the parish.
Death of Benjamin Sykes of Adwalton
Benjamin Sykes of Adwalton was buried December 1817, age, 86.
This means he as born circa 1731.
I do not know for certain that he was related to John Sykes. However, Adwalton was a small
village and there were a limited number of Sykes living there.
If he was born in 1731
it is highly unlikely (but not impossible) that he was the father of John Sykes. He was 66 years old when
John Sykes was born. It is possible that he was the grandfather of John Sykes.